Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Intermittent Fasting for Fat Loss and Lean Gains  (Read 16464 times)

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
Intermittent Fasting for Fat Loss and Lean Gains
« on: August 30, 2013, 01:24:50 am »
Just want to share something I have been on for a several months now

Intermittent fasting or "IF" helped me lose significant pounds while maintaining muscle mass. It kept me lean and extremely vascular (veins popping out).

I stand 5'7, started from 180 lbs last December then dropped down to around 150 to 155 lbs around March. I plateaued at that weight for a very long while and didn't know what adjustments to make since everything was going smoothly. I was working out and doing endurance cardios then (I do significantly less cardio nowadays  ;D). I was eating 6 meals a day and a pretty clean low-med carb diet. I did strict Atkins and Ketosis diets (which I will say really worked for me, I lost like 5 lbs in 5 days so I went to 150lbs immediately) although I stopped it due to the non stop palpitations I get, thats how my body reacted in a ketogenic state probably.
Until I stumbled along a few articles from http://www.leangains.com/

The main principle is forcing your body into a fasted state. I personally do the 16 hrs fasted and 8 hrs feasting. So I eat during within an 8 hr window and do NOT eat within the 16 hrs. Of course my 6-8 hrs sleep is included in the fasting window.
I now am currently 135 lbs and happy with the results. Lean gains and all kinds of fat loss.
This idea might sound crazy and new to you, but I say try it and I guarantee you will thank me later.

Here's a more recent blog I stumbled upon which more likely simplifies what the "IF" lifestyle is.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

Turon

• The witness & the arbitrator of the scion.
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
  • My doctor told me not to dance again.
Re: Intermittent Fasting for Fat Loss and Lean Gains
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:55:11 am »
I tried leangains last summer. I dropped 30 pounds which was on time for my cutting phase. It's actually true that your body would react differently at first.My stats went down for 10% on the first 2 weeks. But after 3 weeks,I was surprised that I was able to regain my stats and continuously adding at least 5% increments every week.Overall,from 170 lbs at 5'7, I went down to 145 lbs after a month.Currently,I'm slowly adding poundage again but  maintaining til 155 lbs but with solid ripped built.

I'm just not sure about the rule  in leangains about taking only amino acids before workout since I opt to just take whey instead.But your body will eventually adapt to lifting heavy weights while on empty stomach.And yes,as days go by you will regain and eventually improve your stats.

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:09:47 am »
Great feedback sir. I myself, actually thrive training fasted as some people would think or feel otherwise. I partly think this is just a mental aspect as people are already used to train with a certain amount of carbs before moving a muscle.

I have yet to try BCAAs prior to working out. I just try to maintain a constant supply of leucine and other AAs during my feeding window to further anabolism, but outside that, I only take water and sometimes the non caloric teas.

Turon

• The witness & the arbitrator of the scion.
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
  • My doctor told me not to dance again.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:42:21 am »
For me it is really just a gut check since our body always wants us to stay in a comfortable state.with proper execution and technique along with your ego at the door,no one should really be worried.

Also,I personally think that this diet is perfect for endomorphs or in between meso and endo body types.Fasted training is my choice since it is perfect for people that go to work or school.Although I didn't follow the full concept of 15-16 hours of fasting time since it was impossible because of my job.You can only take water, coffee or tea without creamer and use a low cal sweeteners and any drink that has very minute cals is fine to take during your fasting period.Hirap naman yata kung pati tubig eh wala since wala namang cals ang water.

DjDaveTrance

• "A real man gives up one night stands, for a woman he can't stand one night without"
  • Regional: Cebu
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 270
  • Pioneer/VIP/Staff/Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 06:31:02 am »
Hehehe! Hindi pwede ito sa nature nang work ko, hehehe baka ma collapse pa ako while taking in calls. Hehehe

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:52:56 am »
I think sir pwede mo yan i try na at least tatamaan yung 1st half ng shift mo being "fasted" then sa lunch ka na babanat until maka 8~ 9 hrs window of eating ka na. People always say na hindi nila kaya ng walang almusal and I was skeptic as well initially. But I have come to notice that I was much more focused towards work during the first half of my shift.

This is pretty much the same with the "After 6PM" concept, yun nga lang e you are pushing the time to  break your fast much further.

I would still suggest you try this. But after 2 weeks or so, and you think you are stressed then probably its not applicable for you.

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:29:19 pm »
I might try this.
ang inaalala ko lang, yung parents ko. hindi ako pinapaalis ng bahay nang hidni kumakain.  laffman::
pwede siguro kung 10pm ang pasok ko.
pero pag 6am, di ko alam kung anong palusot ang sasabihin ko.

try ko muna yung Alpha Reset, then this.
A person becomes strong by accepting their fears.

-=Kurabo=-

• Patience is a Virtue but Time is Gold
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 48
  • Kurabo
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:37:32 pm »
pinaka the best is wag kang magkanin as much as possible, then try a lot of cardio then kapag alam mo na medyo stable katawan mo, try mo magweights kahit push up lang enough na pero kung habol mo ay mala Carlos Agassi na katawan steriods na yan ;D

it ain't over. . .till its over

Van Wilder

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 13
  • MVP
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:12:09 pm »
Matagal ko na nababasa to pero natatakot ako i try. Ano sir usually kinakain nyo sa feeding window? Nag take ba kayo ng supplements?

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 06:33:36 pm »
Matagal ko na nababasa to pero natatakot ako i try. Ano sir usually kinakain nyo sa feeding window? Nag take ba kayo ng supplements?

What to eat in the feeding window? Depends on what diet you are following. So basically whatever works for you.

If you are on a ketogenic diet - extremely low carbs, high fat and protein. If you are on typical low carb, low fat and high protein, It should work either. As long as you fill in the macros of whatever you want to achieve, this should be fine. Medyo mabusisi kasing topic yung diet at pagkain e so I can't to go into the specifics.

Intermittent fasting is not a diet, but instead a meal plan or schedule. So you basically still eat the same thing but just on a limited time.

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:39 pm »
pinaka the best is wag kang magkanin as much as possible, then try a lot of cardio then kapag alam mo na medyo stable katawan mo, try mo magweights kahit push up lang enough na pero kung habol mo ay mala Carlos Agassi na katawan steriods na yan ;D
yoko ng ganun. focus na nga lang siguro ako ngayon sa fat loss.
at kanin talaga ang main reason ko kaya babawasan ko na talaga. nagca-cardio naman kasi ako pero halos walang nangyayari. eheheh.

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:25:27 pm »
yoko ng ganun. focus na nga lang siguro ako ngayon sa fat loss.
at kanin talaga ang main reason ko kaya babawasan ko na talaga. nagca-cardio naman kasi ako pero halos walang nangyayari. eheheh.

Try to build some lean muscle first. A high powered car burns more fuel than a lower powered one that is covering the same distance.

What I meant is the more muscle you have, the more amount of fat you burn, when and if you intend to do your cardio. This makes your workouts more efficient.

Make your cardio exercises more like circuit training then use compound exercises like Squats, Deadlifts, Push ups, Pull Ups. You might not need to do any low intensity endurance cardio if you do these.

Van Wilder

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 13
  • MVP
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 05:22:42 am »
What to eat in the feeding window? Depends on what diet you are following. So basically whatever works for you.

If you are on a ketogenic diet - extremely low carbs, high fat and protein. If you are on typical low carb, low fat and high protein, It should work either. As long as you fill in the macros of whatever you want to achieve, this should be fine. Medyo mabusisi kasing topic yung diet at pagkain e so I can't to go into the specifics.

Intermittent fasting is not a diet, but instead a meal plan or schedule. So you basically still eat the same thing but just on a limited time.

Ok gets sir. Yung workout time po mag fall din sa fasting time di ba po? So ok lang sir kahit di ako cutting? Halimbawa lean muscles lang gusto ko add. Medyo sanay kasi ako 7-8 meals a day po so sa tingin ko medyo mag aajust ako  pagkasyahin siya sa 8 hours.

Sir pwede share nyo yun diet at sked ng pagkain nyo? Para magkaroon lang po ako idea kung paano i adjust diet ko TIA

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 06:22:24 am »
Try to build some lean muscle first. A high powered car burns more fuel than a lower powered one that is covering the same distance.

What I meant is the more muscle you have, the more amount of fat you burn, when and if you intend to do your cardio. This makes your workouts more efficient.

Make your cardio exercises more like circuit training then use compound exercises like Squats, Deadlifts, Push ups, Pull Ups. You might not need to do any low intensity endurance cardio if you do these.
actually, sir, may sinusunod akong video exercise.
kaso, hindi ko rin natatapos dahil mahina ang baga ko.
salamat po sa advice.

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 10:12:45 am »
Ok gets sir. Yung workout time po mag fall din sa fasting time di ba po? So ok lang sir kahit di ako cutting? Halimbawa lean muscles lang gusto ko add. Medyo sanay kasi ako 7-8 meals a day po so sa tingin ko medyo mag aajust ako  pagkasyahin siya sa 8 hours.

Sir pwede share nyo yun diet at sked ng pagkain nyo? Para magkaroon lang po ako idea kung paano i adjust diet ko TIA

"IF" might not be the best meal plan for you. Pwede ka rin naman sa 6 or more meals a day. I just suggest this as a possible alternative. In my experience I just get more vascular and leaner while doing "IF". And besides, I personally get more satisfaction seeing striations and veins on my muscles instead of bulkiness which is mostly adipose tissue lang naman  ;)

Uhmm.. currently I only workout 3 times a week.. actually my doctor advised me totally stop working out because of a rotator cuff tendinitis. Apparently, besides some muscle imbalances, I was working out too hard and too often according to my doctor.

Diet sched -

6AM - Wake up ; 1 Liter of water immediately

8AM - Arrives at work

8AM - 12NN /1PM- 2 to 3 Liters of water / Sometimes a warm cup with freshly squeezed lemon in the early part to flush out some toxins in the liver

350 Calories / 1PM - around this time that I eat my first meal. 2 spoonfuls of VCO (Virgin coconut oil) which normally nilalagok ko na lang pag tinatamad ako kutsarain lol  ::) And then Protein Shake (1 scoop)

800~900 Calories / 2~3PM Brown rice (100g when uncooked) basta puno yung 600ml / 20 oz na lock and lock na baunan ko. And then kung ano mang maprepare ko an ulam kinagabihan. Usually 4 to 6 eggs ito or 1/3 kilo chicken breasts and then kung ano man luto(steamed or stir fried / or with green beans). Take note I use butter as oil for cooking, more fat.. the better hehe.

150 Calories / 4~5PM - Bago umuwi 1 more protein shake (1 scoop).

6~7 PM - Workout for 45 mins to 1 hr (usually 2 body parts)

300 Calories 8~9PM - Post Workout Protein Shake ( 1 scoop of whey and 250 ml Whole Fatty Milk!) Minsan mapipilitan lang ako tumikim tikim sa luto ng GF ko kasi nagagalit hehe.

Wow thats actually 1700 Calories already but on some days when food is scarce or I don't eat brown rice at all it can go down to 1400 or 1300. Mabilis kasi lumubog ung cheeks ko kapag walang brown rice and I love/hate when people say I look sick. I just show them my proverbial "guns" whenever they tell me that. lmao.

On weekends when I don't have to go to work I work out at around 11 AM or 12 nn. Then eat the heaviest meal after that. I actually thrive or enjoy working out fasted more. It just so happens I have a 9-5 schedule currently.

I hope this gives you somewhat of a background. Feel free to ask if something bugs you.  bnana

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 10:15:25 am »
actually, sir, may sinusunod akong video exercise.
kaso, hindi ko rin natatapos dahil mahina ang baga ko.
salamat po sa advice.

Consistency lang sir and I believe you will conquer that exercise video. It might sound cheesy but I started out with some of Mike Chang's (Youtube Id: sixpackshortcuts) 1 Min workouts.

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 12:50:39 pm »
Consistency lang sir and I believe you will conquer that exercise video. It might sound cheesy but I started out with some of Mike Chang's (Youtube Id: sixpackshortcuts) 1 Min workouts.
oo sir. ehehe.
naalala ko rin dati, a year ago, halos himatayin ako sa 10mins pa lang ng vid nung Insanity. ngayon, hanggang 30mins.
hingal kabayo talaga. pero improving.
sanayin ko na nga lagn din ngayon crunches at push-up. kasabay ng diet na ito.

Van Wilder

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 13
  • MVP
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 12:24:13 am »
"IF" might not be the best meal plan for you. Pwede ka rin naman sa 6 or more meals a day. I just suggest this as a possible alternative. In my experience I just get more vascular and leaner while doing "IF". And besides, I personally get more satisfaction seeing striations and veins on my muscles instead of bulkiness which is mostly adipose tissue lang naman  ;)

Uhmm.. currently I only workout 3 times a week.. actually my doctor advised me totally stop working out because of a rotator cuff tendinitis. Apparently, besides some muscle imbalances, I was working out too hard and too often according to my doctor.

Diet sched -

6AM - Wake up ; 1 Liter of water immediately

8AM - Arrives at work

8AM - 12NN /1PM- 2 to 3 Liters of water / Sometimes a warm cup with freshly squeezed lemon in the early part to flush out some toxins in the liver

350 Calories / 1PM - around this time that I eat my first meal. 2 spoonfuls of VCO (Virgin coconut oil) which normally nilalagok ko na lang pag tinatamad ako kutsarain lol  ::) And then Protein Shake (1 scoop)

800~900 Calories / 2~3PM Brown rice (100g when uncooked) basta puno yung 600ml / 20 oz na lock and lock na baunan ko. And then kung ano mang maprepare ko an ulam kinagabihan. Usually 4 to 6 eggs ito or 1/3 kilo chicken breasts and then kung ano man luto(steamed or stir fried / or with green beans). Take note I use butter as oil for cooking, more fat.. the better hehe.

150 Calories / 4~5PM - Bago umuwi 1 more protein shake (1 scoop).

6~7 PM - Workout for 45 mins to 1 hr (usually 2 body parts)

300 Calories 8~9PM - Post Workout Protein Shake ( 1 scoop of whey and 250 ml Whole Fatty Milk!) Minsan mapipilitan lang ako tumikim tikim sa luto ng GF ko kasi nagagalit hehe.

Wow thats actually 1700 Calories already but on some days when food is scarce or I don't eat brown rice at all it can go down to 1400 or 1300. Mabilis kasi lumubog ung cheeks ko kapag walang brown rice and I love/hate when people say I look sick. I just show them my proverbial "guns" whenever they tell me that. lmao.

On weekends when I don't have to go to work I work out at around 11 AM or 12 nn. Then eat the heaviest meal after that. I actually thrive or enjoy working out fasted more. It just so happens I have a 9-5 schedule currently.

I hope this gives you somewhat of a background. Feel free to ask if something bugs you.  bnana

Thanks sir for sharing your meal plan. Mas prefer ko din po yun lubog na cheeks na look hehehe. Ok lang ba sir mag green tea ako sa fasting time? Balak ko po kasi uminom before mg workout para may konting caffeine ako then mag start po yun feeding time ko after ng workout.

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 08:19:30 am »
Thanks sir for sharing your meal plan. Mas prefer ko din po yun lubog na cheeks na look hehehe. Ok lang ba sir mag green tea ako sa fasting time? Balak ko po kasi uminom before mg workout para may konting caffeine ako then mag start po yun feeding time ko after ng workout.

No problem yun sir. Coffee pwede rin pero I would personally stay away from sugar and creamer.

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 05:54:04 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.
pero yung pagkagutom ko, iba na ang feeling. dati, talagang nanghihina ako. pero ngayon, hindi.
I do feel hungry but not weary or weakened.
o baka nalilipasan na ako ng gutom? ahahaha

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 10:21:11 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.
pero yung pagkagutom ko, iba na ang feeling. dati, talagang nanghihina ako. pero ngayon, hindi.
I do feel hungry but not weary or weakened.
o baka nalilipasan na ako ng gutom? ahahaha
Your body is supposed to find alternate sources for fuel, namely, stored fat. Hindi ka dapat talaga manghina after you get used to it although there are really some na for some medical reasons, can't ie. Diabetics.

Try to add a little bit of walking every now and then pagpapasok ng office especially on a fasted state and for sure mas tangible and visible ang results.

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 10:27:30 pm »
Your body is supposed to find alternate sources for fuel, namely, stored fat. Hindi ka dapat talaga manghina after you get used to it although there are really some na for some medical reasons, can't ie. Diabetics.

Try to add a little bit of walking every now and then pagpapasok ng office especially on a fasted state and for sure mas tangible and visible ang results.
tama nga sabi ng pinsan ko.
hindi ako nanghihina kahit gutom or walang laman ang tyan ko eh. i feel bloated na nga minsan kahit onti lang kainin ko.  laffman::

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 10:42:36 pm »
tama nga sabi ng pinsan ko.
hindi ako nanghihina kahit gutom or walang laman ang tyan ko eh. i feel bloated na nga minsan kahit onti lang kainin ko.  laffman::
I experience my stomach making hungry noises sometimes, but that should be normal as your body was trained to intake food everyday and at some specific times as well.

You can eat naman if you feel like it hindi naman dapat strict na 16 hrs of fasting yan. Can be sometimes 14;15; or 16, I personally do 16 as a it just makes my mental will stronger.

Eat a good amount of fiber if you experience constipation.

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 10:44:43 pm »
I experience my stomach making hungry noises sometimes, but that should be normal as your body was trained to intake food everyday and at some specific times as well.

You can eat naman if you feel like it hindi naman dapat strict na 16 hrs of fasting yan. Can be sometimes 14;15; or 16, I personally do 16 as a it just makes my mental will stronger.

Eat a good amount of fiber if you experience constipation.
so far, okay pa naman.
nung mga first 2-3 days lang mahirap kasi nagigising talaga ako pag nagugutom.
pero recently, nakakabalik agad ako tulog. wala namang growling noise sa sikmura so not that kind of hungry, I think.
mukhang sobra nga talaga bilbil ko.  laffman::

Van Wilder

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 13
  • MVP
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 01:44:20 am »
No problem yun sir. Coffee pwede rin pero I would personally stay away from sugar and creamer.
Mas hiyang ako sa green tea sir eh medyo mababa lang kasi siguro caffeine. May nabasa ako na ok din daw mag take ng BCAAs during fasted state para maminimize daw yun muscle loss. Sa tingin nyo sir worth it kaya yun?