Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: I Forgot My Phone  (Read 1177 times)

pspyrock

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 47
I Forgot My Phone
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:18:22 pm »
kindly close or ignore if this is a re-post

Everyone is just too preoccupied with their gadgets.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8[/youtube]

Rather than use hyperbole and humor common to Internet viral videos, Filipino-American Charlene de Guzman chose to portray poeple's obsession with smartphones in an intelligently poignant manner.

The Filipino-American actress-drummer-tap dancer's “I Forgot My Phone” shows a woman isolated as everyone around her is entranced by their smartphones.

In a party, she offers a birthday cake to a celebrant who does nothing as he videos her.

A little girl sits idly in a playground swing as the woman swishes back and forth beside her, while during a meal, her friends duck down to tap their screens as she tries to chat with them.

Even in bed with her lover, she is ignored in favor of the cold glow of his phone.

She turned one of her biggest pet peeves into a request to practice living in the moment “without Instagramming them”.

“Because there is a moment happening right in front of you, right this second, and you’re missing it,” De Guzman concluded.

The video was posted yesterday and has garnered 244,820 views. It was featured by Gawker, the Globe and Mail, and Huffington Post.

Huffington Post has also featured another of De Guzman's videos, Drum Off, which has garnered 414,144 views.

“I came up with the idea for this video when I was at a concert seeing my favorite DJ. The people in front of me had their phones up in the air the entire time,” she explained on her Tumblr page, ”It’s not until very recently that I’ve discovered the joy in being in the moment... and it’s not until now that I’ve realized that everyone - including me - is on their phones. A lot. Like, a f-ck ton. and it makes me sad.” - Rie Takumi, VVP, GMA News
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/323441/pinoyabroad/news/fil-am-via-viral-video-live-in-the-moment-without-instagramming-them

TobleRONe

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 123
Re: I Forgot My Phone
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:07:13 pm »