Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: On June 12, RIFT is free!  (Read 2164 times)

ServantGeneral (SG)

• GoldMember - GS1
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 53
  • Don't stop till you succeed!
  • Special Skills: testskills
On June 12, RIFT is free!
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:25 pm »
Just got an email about Rift being free beginning June 12.

Does anybody here play Rift? It used to be have a monthly fee like World of Warcraft.

FROM THEIR FAQ:

When is RIFT going free-to-play?
June 12 with the arrival of Update 2.3: Empyreal Assault, which also brings a new zone, Chronicle, raid, and more!

Why is RIFT going free-to-play?
Because players prefer free games! Trion has always been progressive with the way we've let people access RIFT, offering trials and referral offers since shortly after launch, Return to Telara events where we invited players to come back for free to see what they missed, partnerships with companies like Raptr, iGames, and others. Over the last two years, we've seen the online gaming market evolve and expand, with millions of new players in North America and Europe embracing free-to-play games. This is just the latest evolution of RIFT that will allow us to bring even more players into the world of Telara.

Why is RIFT going free-to-play now?
Because we believe the game, the market, and players are ready for the transition.

READ MORE ==>>>> http://www.riftgame.com/en/promo/freetoplay.php
I love Espiya.net. My grandma loves it too!

knet12

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 11
  • Raise your Fist and Resist
    • Raise your Fist and Resist
Re: On June 12, RIFT is free!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:28:41 pm »
matagal ko na to gusto i try saya nito daming class and build
Raise your Fist and Resist

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:14:50 pm »
RIFT is the only other Game able to stand up to WoW

RIFT is becoming free because of one reason, ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE

sir SG ang tanong may IP BLOCK ba?

bodieph

• Gold Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »
kung NA baka meron, gaya ng tera, when tera went free to play, tera NA still had an IP block for those outside NA kaya ang ginawa ng mga outside NA, sa tera europe naglaro (including me)

kaso lang, after a couple of patches, the lag became very very bad that questing was near impossible to do anymore. ewan kung naresolve na now. yun ang reason kung bakit hindi ako (pati mga kasama ko) nagtagal sa tera. sila nasa neverwinter na now, ako nasa scarlet blade

ServantGeneral (SG)

• GoldMember - GS1
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 53
  • Don't stop till you succeed!
  • Special Skills: testskills
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:44:07 pm »
RIFT is the only other Game able to stand up to WoW

RIFT is becoming free because of one reason, ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE

sir SG ang tanong may IP BLOCK ba?

@MC, Di ko alam kung may IP block. Usually ba blocked ang RP?

The reason I tried Rift before is the good reviews. I had fun playing it but I can't justify the monthly fee, being a casual gamer.

@Bodie, what's "NA"?  ;D Sorry newb here.
I love Espiya.net. My grandma loves it too!

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:20:32 pm »
@MC, Di ko alam kung may IP block. Usually ba blocked ang RP?

The reason I tried Rift before is the good reviews. I had fun playing it but I can't justify the monthly fee, being a casual gamer.

@Bodie, what's "NA"?  ;D Sorry newb here.

NA = Nortg America
EU = Europe
AU =Australia
SEA = South East Asia(SG, PH, MA, IN)
KOR = Kim Jong Un/Psy

b0ler0

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 99
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:03 pm »
I used to play Rift for 9 months since launch.  I may not remember the name of the location as it's been a while, but I still remember, with so much glee, the first day of launch, when the servers were full and every area was so crowded that people will fight over each mob spawn just to complete a quest.  After the starting quest line (until level 5 or 6), I was taken to an area where, nearby, there was a broken bridge separating the two rival factions.  Casters would hurl projectiles and spells at each other from above their respective ends of the bridge.  Because the game was overpopulated back then, the scene was so reminiscent of the flyovers in EDSA during the infamously labeled EDSA Dos.

WOW-killer, though?  Nope.  I played Rift simultaneously with WOW and logged more hours with the latter.

Rift only brought two things new to the MMORPG table.  One of them were invasions coming from, well, rifts, hence the game's name.  Periodically, rifts will open up and out will come armies of hostile mobs that would attack friendly towns and NPCs.  Periodically, as well, rifts will be able to allow players from opposing factions to go to hostile towns and join the attacks. 

Repelling these invasions and closing these rifts were fun... but they got boring really quickly as they provided no variety save for the landscape where they open up.  The fact that the player base dwindled made the tasks quite arduous as well.

Everything else?  Well, PVP was a "capture the base" sortie much like WOW's Arathi Basin.  Public quests were ripped off from Warhammer Online.  And the rest are your usual "point, click and attack" MMORPG fare.

Elder Scrolls Online isn't the reason why it's going the F2P route.  Rift peaked at 2.2 millions subscribers during its first month (an amazing achievement considering WOW's dominance of the market during those days),but quickly lost steam after the third.  If you were a regular player during its first few months, you would've noticed the queue times for PVP matches getting increasingly longer, and the decreasing number of "tambays" in capital cities.

Rift was supposed to go F2P after its first year when its subscription base was reduced to 200,000, more or less.  The fact that it took 2 more years for them to abandon their pay-to-play model is a marvelous feat in itself.  The reason for this?  Rift retained a very, very, very loyal and passionate player base that refused to leave the game.  They kept the title alive.

I don't know what happened since early 2012, but I suppose those 200,000 plus loyal players dwindled yet again, forcing Trion to finally take the F2P route.

But enough of the bad news as I am just stating statistical facts.

Will YOU enjoy Rift now that it's free to play?

The answer is a simple "yes."

For all its MMORPG cliches, Rift is a great MMORPG if it has a huge player base, and they will get this once it goes F2P.

But the thing you will love the most if you'll stay until the level cap is the insane number of customization possibilities you can have.  Rift offers the deepest talent trees in the genre, with 4 classes and 8 souls to mix and match.  You can experiment all you want as respecialization wasn't really an issue (but you might be asked to pay for this once the game goes F2P).   Eventually, you'll discover a combination that you'll love and you'll stick with it and you'll brag about what it can do.

It will be a huge download.  I just looked at my folder and it stands at 13.8 GB (yes it's still in my HD as I'm hoping to come back to it someday), but this is minus 2 years worth of patches and the expansion that was released early this year or late last year.  I think the current size will be around 18 to 20 GB.

But it's a good game, and if you'll invest your time on it, it's one that may actually call your fantasy home.