Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Large meteor spotted in night sky in England and Wales  (Read 9261 times)

pspyrock

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 47
Large meteor spotted in night sky in England and Wales
« on: May 09, 2013, 01:59:58 am »
ignore or close if this is a re-post

I think this is the 3rd major sighting of meteors caught on video for this year.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuXsJ3fHTKU[/youtube]

A meteor has been spotted travelling across the night sky by people in many parts of England and Wales.

Sightings of the celestial body were reported on Twitter in areas such as Cornwall, Hampshire, Lancashire, south Wales and Worcestershire.

Suzy Buttress, of Basingstoke, described witnessing the meteor as a "once in a lifetime thing".

Space scientist Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock said the phenomenon was likely to have been debris from Halley's Comet.

Dr Aderin-Pocock explained what could have caused the spectacle.

"Unfortunately I didn't see this meteor myself, but I think what's unusual is the size of this one. With meteor showers people will see a number of meteors over an hour, so let's say six or 10 an hour.

"It seems that this one was particularly large and particularly bright, which is why it's caught so much attention.

"It's quite likely to be part of the Eta Aquarids, which is the debris left by Halley's Comet.

"And twice a year we pass through the debris left behind by the comet and when this happens we see more of these shooting stars but there must have been a large lump left behind which is what caused such a bright meteor to be seen."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22460642

Idiot

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 64
Re: Large meteor spotted in night sky in England and Wales
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:09:05 am »
dumadami ang sightings kase dumadami din ang mga reported cases

ChocoNaGatas

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:23:12 am »
illuminati

xeoxander01

• Balikatan Participant
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Beware of half truths. You may get the wrong half.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:05:46 am »