Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: NBA legend Allen Iverson: ‘I don’t even have money for a cheeseburger’  (Read 5452 times)

zer0below.exe

• -卐- 3rd class soldier -卍- Rapid Libido Regenerationᶟ
  • Console Gamers
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 4
  • (_Ì…_Ì…(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(Ì…_Ì…v_̲̅a_̲̅p_̲̅e_̲̅_̲̅_̲̅_̲̅_̲̅()
“I don’t even have money for a cheeseburger,” -Allen Iverson via Washington Post.

Former NBA superstar is so downfall right now. That's sad to hear. He was once one of the highest paid athletes in the NBA. He earned more than $150 million througout his NBA career. He was also considered as 1 of Kobe Bryant's rivals when it comes to skills in basketball. Read more:

Allen Iverson Admits To His Wife That He Couldn’t Afford A Cheeseburger

Allen Iverson is in bad shape. Not, bad meaning “good”, but “bad” meaning bad. According to a new piece in the Washington Post the iconic NBA baller “has hit rock bottom” and there are many people who love him, and are concerned about him.

Via Washington Post

Three years after Iverson’s last NBA game, the spotlight has shifted from his play to his flaws. His refusal back then to play by society’s rules was seen as an independent player’s quirks, part of the character and the brand, same as his cornrows and tattoos.

Practicing with hangovers added to the legend. Skipping team functions and refusing to obey the league’s dress code was a man who wouldn’t be held down. And embarrassing defenders on the way to the basket, in the NBA and before that at Georgetown, was a nightly statement by the 6-foot, 165-pound guard: If a man, no matter his size, is determined enough, he can get the better of giants.

But Iverson isn’t a basketball player anymore. This is something most everyone but Iverson has accepted, and for years a question worried those closest to him: What happens when the most important part of a man’s identity, the beam supporting the other unstable matter, is no longer there?

For the past three years, as Iverson chased an NBA comeback, his marriage fell apart and much of his fortune – he earned more than $150 million in salary alone during his career – dissolved. Now, those who once ignored past signals have recognized that basketball may have been the only thing holding Iverson’s life together.

“He has hit rock bottom, and he just hasn’t accepted it yet,” says former Philadelphia teammate Roshown McLeod.

As sad as that sounds, nothing can compare to the scene described during Iverson’s divorce trial in 2012.

Iverson stood during a divorce proceeding in Atlanta in 2012 and pulled out his pants pockets. “I don’t even have money for a cheeseburger,” he shouted toward his estranged wife, Tawanna, who then handed him $61.

To make matters worse, alcholism has been said to be a major contributor to A.I.’s spiraling struggle.

Tawanna testified that during a 2009 family vacation in Orlando, Iverson spent evenings with a friend while his family made plans without him. On the day they were to fly home, Iverson nursed a hangover in a van, lying on the floor with a foot draped on the seat. While their children saw a movie, Tawanna sat for hours with her husband, afraid if he was left alone the driver would take photographs.

Hopefully someone can reach out to Allen to help him get his life together. Despite how bad his situation is, there is a silver lining in Iverson’s playbook.

Basketball was Iverson’s sanctuary, and he signed huge contracts: a six-year deal in 1999 worth $70.9 million and, four years later, a new agreement worth $76.7 million. Reebok signed him to a huge endorsement deal, including a deferred trust worth more than $30 million, a lump sum he can’t touch until he turns 55.

It’s a LONG time to wait, but if the braided-baller can hold on just 18 more years, there just might be some hope.

As bad as many people feel for A.I. it appears that all his wounds are self-inflicted. Iverson’s ignorance, lack of responsibility, and a general I-don’t-give-a-fawk demeanor makes it hard to feel too bad for him. That said, Iverson was one of the greatest basketball players that most of us have ever seen grace the court, it’s a shame that won’t be the way we remember him.

Badtrip talaga Binura Account ko!!!

IORIâ„¢

• elite
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 396
  • n if u complain once more u'll meet an army of me.
damn... wawa nmn c idol  :(

espiya sunday group cavaliers

kevkevkev

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 2
  • two steps forward one step back.....
Its sad how a superstar like him from rags to riches suddenly did a 360 back to where he started. Maybe if he does ease up on the attitude he can still be a good player off the bench like tmac. He just needs to realize what he really wants and what is his worth right now. He can still play ball a lot of teams would love an iverson minus his attitude in their team.

gen_tigas

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 2
18 years pa, $30 million naman ang uubusin niya, wag naman sana!  ::pampam

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
sadsies...NBA MVP 2001  and four-time scoring leader ( sa kanya din nag start yan 1 arm bondage ba ? :) )

sana totally maka recover na sya ,go sober na talaga at mag kasama ulet sila ni wifey nya (since they're sweetheart in high school pa yata )  

“I love u,” Iverson wrote to her in a text message submitted in the divorce filing. “I miss your pretty face & I’m sorry! Ppl make mistakes!”

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:51:01 pm by FerminaDaza »

mikester

• Rockheads
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 0
was invited for a d-league team, but rejected it.

estavio

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 9
  • xoxoxoxoxo
ang tanga kasi ..taken for granted ang career nya sa nba feeling nya di na sya lalaus eh .kaya yun basics sa pro game di nya sinunod like practice courtesy ni time element wala sya dadating sya hapon na eh umaga ensayo ng sixers nun to be short ginawa lang din nya lahat ng problema nya feeling nya magaling na siya pero hindi rin kasi basics di nya alam kaya siya ginago ng asawa nya naubos tuloy pera nya....

meteor freak

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 46
  • "Live free" ('5')
Tsk tsk, ganito na pala nangyari kay idol, sana naman makabangon ulit sya, hindi man sya makabalik sa NBA maayos sana nya yung buhay nya.
Life is not about the people who act true to your face,

It's about the people who remain true behind your back.

gemo85

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 1
mag-PBA ka na lang AI! magiging MVP ka ulit kay MVP!

mangKulas

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 3
I feel sad that AI came to a point such as this. He's one of the most feared players inside the court during his time. Feared not because of his attitude but by the way he plays.

This kind of impact to the life of professional players should be a lesson to our beloved pro ballers at home. Kahit na gaano ka pa kagaling, o kasikat, laging may downfall ang career. Our professional ballers should know better how to handle money and fame.

mikester

• Rockheads
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 0
I remember him saying he dont want to be like MJ, Bird & Magic. lol. Well obviously he didnt have the best decisions in managing his finances. Sana nagcrash course you siya sa mga NBA Legends above, baka owner na cya ng isang team.  ;D ;D

x2/

• If time does not wait for you, dont worry. Just remove the battery from the clock and enjoy life.
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 2
i remember back in 2011 petron blaze wants him to play here in the PBA as their import but he didn't accept the offer.,

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
  • Special Skills: kalabit penge gang , taga jumper ng kuryente , sipsip gas at mang-buriki ng bigas
 smoking::  Alimony siguro plus his addiction to alcohol

Mr.Ivan

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 2
kawawa nanan. hirap pag sikat ka kala mo di mauubos ung pera :)
Anger, is a feeling that makes your mouth work faster than your Mind.
Keep Calm People

shavehead

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -1
  • Hi to all fellow Espiya....
kawawa naman idol ko....

sana naman maka recover sya....

*schizophrenic*

• Regional: Cebu
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 9
 P R I D E happend.....lesson narin sa atin mga bradier... it's the way how we rise when we fall not the fall itself

melecee

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 0
skip practice lagi tapos pagdating ng ball game kamya lagi bola? "nuggets"

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
Magastos kasi ang life style ni AI. Maraming hindi nakaka alam na sya ang bumubuhay sa mga posse nya. Much like how Manny Pacquiao rolls around with a lot of people. Ngayon wala na syang pera at career, nowhere to be found ang mga taong natulungan nya.

I've heard a story regarding AI's friend that went to prison. AI bailed him out, gave him a bag of money (allegedly 100k dollars) and told him to get out of town and go on to start a new life.

melecee

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 0
ang huli nyang comeback e yung kay nelly sana e kaso talagang wala ng nagtitiwala sa kanya e.

dh3n

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 2
  • Detective Conan On Duty
So sad for Iverson..
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

Jacob_Black

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma -2
I'm just sad that he dropped so low from where he was 5 years ago. Sad.  :( :( :(

nivek_nayr

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 19
  • jason bourne
hindi ba naglaro sya sa china?anu nangyari at napagaya kay rodman?

BaTistAbomB

• unleash the BEAST
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 176
  • I'M ON VACATION ;)
Alcoholism= jails,institutions, death. Look for that silver lining A.I

*Colt-CIS /.45, M16 Baby, Glock 18C..GunBan Exempted Security*

Extra Rice

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 8
  • Rice is Life! Can you count it?
Padalhan na lang kita ng Cheeseburger Idol! Buy 1, take 1 pa!  laffman:: laffman:: laffman::

NAPAKAPANGET

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 1
Life just want to teach him a lesson.

And also Us who idolize him.
No matter how bad you are, you are not totally useless. You can be used as a BAD example. INSPIRING!