Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Rafael Lacson, Ampatuan of the 1950s  (Read 3493 times)

laitzu

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 23
Rafael Lacson, Ampatuan of the 1950s
« on: November 26, 2009, 04:54:21 pm »
Nabasa ko ang kwento nitong si Governor Rafael Lacson ng Negros Occidental way back in the 1950s. Just like the Ampatuans, he ruled the province with utter impunity. He was brought to justice by the way.

Read on guys.

THE PHILIPPINES: Justice for the Governor

A slender, hard-faced man, outwardly calm and obviously used to authority, stood last week in the governor's office in Bacolod, capital of Negros Occidental Province, and heard himself sentenced to death. At this, an insignificant-looking woman, the mother of his victim smiled wanly and said: "Now I know that justice is for the rich and poor alike."

In 1951 Rafael Lacson was the undisputed boss of Negros Occidental, second most populous province in the Philippines. He sat in the governor's chair and, allied with the big sugar planters, ran a tight police state. The province's 200.000 voters did as Lacson bade and so did the under paid farm workers. If anyone stepped out of line in Negros Occidental, he answered either to the planters' private armies or to Lacson's own bullet-hard, radio-equipped constabulary. In 1949 a few foreign correspondents flew in to inspect this little dictatorship; Governor Lacson turned them right around and flew them out. Occasionally, a charge of rape or murder against Lacson reached the court but nothing ever came of it. Even if he was a bit rough, he delivered solidly on election day. President Quirino's Liberal administration could not afford to quibble

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,820089-1,00.html
Get $50 to start/Earn up to $20/day/Earn $5 per referral

spikespeigel

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 3
Re: Rafael Lacson, Ampatuan of the 1950s
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:55:54 am »
Im from Negros and the story about Lacson and the torture and murder of Moises Padilla is realy true. Magsaysay made the Moises Padilla torture-murder as an effective means of grabbing the headlines then. It's only sad to note that poltical dynasties and private armies are still wide spread in the province.   

gkhan

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 15
Re: Rafael Lacson, Ampatuan of the 1950s
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:58:03 am »
Maybe, if the basis is the way the govern, I guess that guy may be ranked No. 1.  Pero from what I know, if sa dami ng kinatay ang batayan, it would be Col. Napoleon Valeriano. If my memory serves me right, iniwan ni Emma Benitez ang asawa upang sumama dito kay Nap.  Si Emma ang ina ni Greggy Araneta, ang pinakasalan ni Irene Marcos.