Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: what is it like to swim w/a diving suit,long jacket & a head scarf...?  (Read 1620 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Imagine being an athlete at the top of your field and not being recognized by the authorities for your accomplishments simply because you are a woman. This is the problem faced by Elham Asghari, a 32-year-old swimmer in Iran, who isn’t having her records recorded by the country’s sports ministry. In fact, just last month, Iran refused to acknowledge Asghari’s recent 20 kilometer swim in the Caspian Sea. Why? Because when she emerged from the water after the swim on a women-only beach, her figure was still “visible” underneath her six kilos-worth of body-covering swimsuit paraphernalia.

Women athletes in Iran are expected to practice separately from men; for swimmers, this means swimming in women-only pools. They are not supposed to swim in competitions abroad so that they aren’t seen by men while wearing their swimsuits. But Asghari, the news site France 24 explains, prefers to swim in the sea and must do so on all-women beaches. When she swims, she has to wear a diving suit, a full jacket, and a head scarf. That’s what she was wearing during her recent Caspian Sea swim, which Iran’s sports ministry has refused to recognize because her suit was “religiously illegal,” i.e. they don’t think her body was covered up enough.

Clearly they’re trying to disuade her from doing what she loves. The only record the sports ministry has recognized from Elham Asghari is a 12-kilometer swim back in 2008. A friend of Asghari’s also claimed to France 24 that back in 2010, a police boat rammed into her during a swim, causing Asghari’s hip to be “lacerated by boat propellers.” But Elham Asghari refuses to be discouraged by the conservatives in Iran who say swimming is not appropriate for women. In this English-subtitled YouTube video, she talks about how swimming in her six-kilo swimsuit is painful. But she refuses to give up her passion and insists women can swim, too. -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6knmnOebfzg#at=86[/youtube]
http://observers.france24.com/content/20130628-iranian-swimmer-time-unrecorded-asghari

......the Universe is on your side,Elham, continue being a kickass woman- 
Don't let your repressive government stop you from doing what you love.  ::flowers

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
I'm reminded of a TV commercial for the Olympics that said: "You can measure strength in kilograms; height in meters; and speed in seconds. Courage...you can't measure courage."

Sometimes, you have to swim against the current to reach your destination. And sometimes, you have to break the waves so that the others swimming in your wake can reach their goals too.
Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.

-=Kurabo=-

• Patience is a Virtue but Time is Gold
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 48
  • Kurabo
most likely ganito ang treatment na makukuha ng mga babae sa egypt kung natuloy si Morsi and his band or Muslim Brothers ;) I admire her courage though and the same time I fear for her life because the next news about might be - Elham Asghari,stoned to death smoking::

it ain't over. . .till its over