Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice⚡️💥  (Read 46785 times)

b0ler0

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Three Stars
  • -:
  • -:
  • Karma 99
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice⚡️💥
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:53:49 am »
Not that far off if you followed his comics back in the 90s... That's probably what they were going for when they cast Momoa.

Yup.  That Aquaman was inspired by Peter David's run on the character's title.  That run was legendary.  Before Peter David came along, Aquaman was the butt of homosexual jokes, what with his pretty boy looks and his orange suit.  Peter David focused on the character's role as heir to the throne of Atlantis.  Then, Peter David had the character's hand eaten by a pool of hungry piranhas.  How bad ass is that?

You're correct.  This was around 1994.  I remember because this was the year when I heard about the Age of Apocalypse and I renewed my subscriptions for the X-titles at Platinum Comics.  Aquaman was already part of my pull list back then.

I still have those issues somewhere.  With an expected surge in interest on Aquaman, their value might shoot up.  I'll go look for them later...

Anyway, that Peter David version is clearly the inspiration for the movie version of Aquaman...

Peter David is a comic book genius.  He single-handedly made X-Factor relevant (not once, but twice) when Marvel was about to give up on the title.  He gave us the most memorable version of the Hulk in Future Imperfect.  He added a new dimension to the regular hulk by introducing the intelligent grey Hulk, Mr. Fixit, who became a mobster (lol).  He made each issue of Young Justice a fabulous romp, and when he left that title, the book went nowhere.  And of course, he was the one man who was able to transform Aquaman into a character who actually commanded respect, if not fear.

Peter David is pretty bad ass himself.  In 2012, he suffered a major stroke, yet he was still able to finish some stories for his second run on X-Factor later that year.

Personally, I want DC movies to succeed, commercially and critically, as much as their Marvel counterparts.  I don't care about which is better between Marvel or DC (or Image or Dark Horse or Boom Studios, all of which have properties that will soon be adapted to film).  I want all of them to kick ass, be entertaining, and provide a great experience for moviegoers.  That way, more films based on comic books will be made and everyone wins.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:57:17 am by b0ler0 »