Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Angelina Jolie's moving speech on rape @ UN council  (Read 8614 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • -:
  • -:
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Angelina Jolie's moving speech on rape @ UN council
« on: June 25, 2013, 11:48:41 am »

Continuing her legacy of being Person Most Likely to Use Their Celebrity for Good, actress/humanitarian/vision board inspirer Angelina Jolie — as a special envoy for refugees — gave testimony on war zone rape to the UN Security Council on Monday, urging them to adopt a resolution " that rape can exacerbate conflicts and gets in the way of peace."

"You set the bar," Jolie urged."If the … council sets rape and sexual violence in conflict as a priority it will become one and progress will be made. If you do not, this horror will continue."

"Hundreds of thousands — if not millions — of women, children and men have been raped in conflicts in our lifetimes," she said, according to the AP.

Jolie continued:

"Young girls raped and impregnated before their bodies are able to carry a child, causing fistula. Boys held at gunpoint and forced to sexually assault their mothers and sisters. Women raped with bottles, wood branches and knives to cause as much damage as possible. Toddlers and even babies dragged from their homes, and violated. They suffer the most at the hands of their rapists, but they are also victims of this culture of impunity. That is the sad, upsetting and indeed shameful reality.

...The world has yet to take up war-zone rape as a serious priority...These crimes happen not because they are inherent to war, but because the global climate allows it."

Later that day, the UN Security Council voted to adopt a "legally binding resolution demanding the complete and immediate cessation of all acts of sexual violence by all parties to armed conflict,"which is the broadest resolution regarding sexual violence in conflict to have ever been adopted by the UN.

you go Angie  ::flowers