Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: More than 1,000 species discovered in Mekong: WWF  (Read 1944 times)

IWM

• Meet the real Mother F'r
  • MILF Negotiators
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 138
  • Hide your moms...
More than 1,000 species discovered in Mekong: WWF
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:31:10 am »
BANGKOK (AFP) – Scientists have discovered more than 1,000 species in Southeast Asia's Greater Mekong region in the past decade, including a spider as big as a dinner plate, the World Wildlife Fund said Monday.

A rat thought to have become extinct 11 million years ago and a cyanide-laced, shocking pink millipede were among creatures found in what the group called a "biological treasure trove".

The species were all found in the rainforests and wetlands along the Mekong River, which flows through Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam and the southern Chinese province of Yunnan.

"It doesn't get any better than this," Stuart Chapman, director of WWF's Greater Mekong Programme, was quoted as saying in a statement by the group.

"We thought discoveries of this scale were confined to the history books."

The WWF report, "First Contact in the Greater Mekong", said that "between 1997 and 2007, at least 1,068 have been officially described by science as being newly discovered species."

These included the world's largest huntsman spider, with a leg span of 30 centimetres (11.8 inches), and the "startlingly" coloured "dragon millipede", which produces the deadly compound cyanide.

Not all species were found hiding in remote jungles -- the Laotian rock rat, which the study said was thought to be extinct about 11 million years ago, was first encountered by scientists in a local food market in 2005, it said.

One species of pitviper was first noted by scientists after it was found in the rafters of a restaurant at the headquarters of Thailand's Khao Yai national park in 2001.

"This region is like what I read about as a child in the stories of Charles Darwin," said Dr Thomas Ziegler, curator at the Cologne Zoo, who was involved in the research.

"It is a great feeling being in an unexplored area and to document its biodiversity for the first time both enigmatic and beautiful," he said.

The new species highlighted in the report include 519 plants, 279 fish, 88 frogs, 88 spiders, 46 lizards, 22 snakes, 15 mammals, four birds, four turtles, two salamanders and a toad -- an average of two previously undiscovered species a week for the past 10 years.

The report warned, however, that many of the species could be at risk from development, and called for a cross-border agreement between the countries in the Greater Mekong area to protect it.

Code: [Select]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081215/sc_afp/sciencethailandseasiawildlife_081215132156

Ano kaya itsura nung mga nadiscover na bagong species?
NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='(   NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='(   NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='(   NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='(   NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='( 
"Without evil, there can be no good. So it must be good to be evil sometimes." ;D

ServantGeneral (SG)

• GoldMember - GS1
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 53
  • Don't stop till you succeed!
  • Special Skills: testskills
Re: More than 1,000 species discovered in Mekong: WWF
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 03:05:50 pm »
I saw this in Yahoo news. It must have been like seeing aliens... a cyanide-laced millipede! wow.
I love Espiya.net. My grandma loves it too!

Paprika

• Melodramatic Fool
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Boy Haiku
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:10:36 pm »
I witnessed a spider not as big as a dinner plate pero maybe half as that when we were hiking in Epol (I usually mistake this as Epal) while digging through a tight little cave looking for remains of Yamashita treasure (as if).
I know a word that starts with F and ends in UCK. Firetruck.

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:57:07 am »
I witnessed a spider not as big as a dinner plate pero maybe half as that when we were hiking in Epol (I usually mistake this as Epal) while digging through a tight little cave looking for remains of Yamashita treasure (as if).
what more ang full plate size na spider?...eee...creepy...nyehehehe...
sana may pics yung mga discovered species na yun...
kakaintriga...
A person becomes strong by accepting their fears.

NakedminD

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 13
  • i won't let this build up inside me
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:21:13 am »
its just that no one as geek as them to be found in asian country para magresearch.. hehehe

Master Of Disaster (m.d)

• Cool Cat!!
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 10
  • Let's GET it on!!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:25:51 pm »

I love to hear there are creators just discovered... I hope there are animals din na bumalik from extinction like...

mega shark and Thylacine etc...

sana ma discover din yung dating kung ka klase parang missing link yun eh...;D

thanks sa info bro...
"The Filipino people, imploring the aid of Divine Providence and desiring to lead a free national existence, do hereby proclaim their independence, and in order to establish a government that shall promote the general welfare, conserve and develop the patrimony of the Nation, and contribute to the c

solmyr

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
  • Rockman!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:37:20 pm »
I agree with UFC este Mod. Sana may madiscover pang iba. O kaya similar to them. ^_^

Kung gagamba lang ang paguusapan, pass ako... HIhimatayin ako kung makakita ako ng taratulang kasing laki ng dinner plate!!!

manyakihiro

• I Am a Night Creature ......... I crawl at night.
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
  • Not Intrested w/ d Status Quo, I'll Overthrow it..
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:43:53 am »
its just that no one as geek as them to be found in asian country para magresearch.. hehehe

id like to disagree on that. we have professionals who are qualified to do such task or similar scientific expeditions. I think it is more an issue of funding why we dont spearhead such endeavors or any large scale or ambitious scientific research.

toast:: toast:: toast::

Chazy_Chaz

• " Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, We must do."
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 3
  • Whats happenin?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 11:04:03 am »
Napanood koh to sa NatGeo

"So give me reason to prove me wrong, to wash this memory clean,
Let the floods cross the distance in your eyes!!"