Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Why I Am Not Proud Of Arnel Pineda And Charice Pempengco  (Read 19675 times)

docalbert

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 8
    • Kindly visit my blog:
Why I Am Not Proud Of Arnel Pineda And Charice Pempengco
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:42:11 pm »
Don't get me wrong. I am happy for what they have achieved. But there is a thin line between being happy and being proud. As a music fan, I have always been critical about the feat of Arnel Pineda and Charice Pempengco. I see their accomplishments as unsatisfactory, if not reeking cheap imitation of other foreign artists. Add to the fact that I am quite disturbed on Filipinos' penchant for over gratification about anything that is characteristically tacky, shallow, and short-lived. This is not a case of crab mentality. Maybe it is just my nature to strive for excellence  and originality. Because of this, I really find it hard to be proud of two Filipinos strongly regarded in their country as "international superstars" when in fact, he and she are just singing other people's songs.

Luck more than talent is probably what made these two singers hit the big time as both were discovered via You Tube. The case of Arnel Pineda does not take rocket science to understand. Journey had its heydays as a world renown musical group under Steve Perry. Arnel's singing style happen to have an uncanny resemblance to the said original frontman. Wanting to resurrect their long forgotten careers, the remaining band members tapped the services of Arnel, probably hoping that a Steve Perry rip-off could bring back Journey to its glory years. Strutting your wares with a not-so-famous band (a "has been" if you allow me to be harsh) while performing their old hits that were more of a trademark to its original lead singer does not necesarily spell Pinoy pride in my part. When one is chosen to be the new vocalist of a band for the sole reason that he sounded exactly like their former frontman, it vaguely reveals mediocrity.

In early 2008, I wrote a blog about Charice on how she is just a product of media hype. A year has passed and Charice has not proven me wrong. Her immense popularity is still based solely on the intensive marketing, push and publicities by her mother studio, ABS CBN (her albums became bestsellers basically just because of this.) She is still singing songs of Celine Dion, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, and now Michael Jackson. A 2nd album (still made up of revivals by the way) after, she has not still come up with any signature hit. So it is nothing but wishful thinking that Charice is or can become an international superstar when even in her home turf, she cannot generate  a repertoire of her own hit music. Her entertainment value singly lies on her good lung capacity despite the small stature. I may sound cruel but to keep it real: stardom is far fetched for a teenager who performs songs that do not suit her age. For a 17 year old singer with a child-like physique who sings nothing but high octane birit songs of old people, the closest she can get in the international market is merely as a sideshow attraction.

Realistically speaking, Arnel and Charice are just glorified lounge singers (one who does cover songs in clubs) who happen to have a bigger stage. Colombia has Shakira. Ireland has U2 and The Corrs. Japan has Utada Hikaru. Australia has AC/DC and Silverchair. Puerto Rico has Ricky Martin. Korea has BoA and Rain. The big difference of these non-American international singing superstars from Arnel and Charice is that they have penetrated the world music arena based on their craft that spawns originality, inventiveness, and creativity. I wish for that day that the Philippines will have its own representative--- an artist in the truest sense of the word. Someone who will not just sing songs popularized by other people. Someone who can show his or her Pinoy musical ingenuity by creating music and sharing it to the whole world. And for that someone, I will be truly proud of.

VISIT MY SITE FOR MORE:

http://worldofalbert.blogspot.com
"In This Country, You Gotta Make the Money First. Then When You Get the Money, You Get the Power. Then When You Get the Power, Then You Get the Woman."--- From The Movie Scarface.

Visit my site:

The Dark Knight

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 15
  • I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
Re: Why I Am Not Proud Of Arnel Pineda And Charice Pempengco
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:44 pm »
nice insight... toast::

noypiblazer

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 13
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:49:18 pm »
crab mentality pa rin  ::lmao

RiderX_23

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 11
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 11:51:01 pm »
I am to im not proud of Charice Pempengco but not Arnel Pineda.... I dont like The Singing Voice Of Charice its so pangit and Very OA... Yun Lang Po.... But Still Im Proud to be Filipino kahit wala sila.....

Khaye Garcia

• Why be self conscious about something you can't change?
  • Certified SpyGirl
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
  • Maglaway ka!!
    • Khaye Garcia
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:54:22 pm »
I see the p0int...p0int!

@ thedarkknight...i sec0nd dem0ny0!

"Some live at peace with themselves and with those around them. Some on the other hand, have no peace within themselves, and they seem determined to ruin the peace of others.

laces522

• KEEP IT NAUGHTY NOT TRASHY BUT NASTY!
  • Certified SpyGirl
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 27
  • Be wary cause i am a feline..sly,foxy and cunning!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 12:00:53 am »
flop naman yung concert ni charice eh...saka sa totoo lang di maappreciate ng pinoy yung mga kanta nya..pilit nagpapaka adult ng boses ...

ssbongbong

• walang palalampasin lahat tutumbukin!
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 9
  • derechupa ang aksyon!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:03:17 am »
sinabi na ni freddie aguilar to sa pep e..

http://www.pep.ph/news/22360/Freddie-Aguilar-says-Charice-and-Arnel-Pineda-prove-that-Filipinos-are-monkeys

sana maging masaya na lang tayo sakanila..tutal pinaghirapan naman nila yung mga natamu nilang tagumpay..

noypiblazer

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 13
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:10:17 am »
hey doc, moymoypalaboy had already composed and sang original songs in their UPLOADED album yet still you're a non-believer in their talents. You're also a non-believer in Arnel and Charice because they never composed an original song...ano ba talaga doc, all I see is you being a hypocrite tsk tsk tsk  smoking::

laces522

• KEEP IT NAUGHTY NOT TRASHY BUT NASTY!
  • Certified SpyGirl
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 27
  • Be wary cause i am a feline..sly,foxy and cunning!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:18:07 am »
guys,kanya kanya pong opinion yan...if you dont like his opinion,then give your own....don't lambast the person that doesnt adhere to your opinion...ok....

wag po mag-sabi ng bad thing sa co-espiya.....

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 12:19:07 am »
"occurs when a person lacks another’s (perceived) superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it."

The emphasis of the essay is to belittle the achievements of the mentioned people. There's a big difference when you say "They can only sing their lungs out. They don't even have original compositions" and "They have yet to be given the opportunity to showcase their song writing skills.".

@ssbongbong - And that would be a perfect world. Sadly, people would rather use one's weakness to get back that lost confidence.

All Roads Lead to Espiya's Resident Genius, 123kid123.

Mods, mods! Help! I just got owned! - multimillion dollar man

I do have followers. They post everywhere I post. Do you?

harrowblade_0

• ESPIYA.NET's RESIDENT EMBALMER
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
  • Libre embalsamo basta BARBERO!
    • harrowblade_0's blog
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 12:19:38 am »
If only both Charice and Arnel would do originals. That would really make us proud.

Charice's voice is starting to sound like noise, and she is very overrated.
Arnel, though touted as a clone, has his own style and flavor. again, if only he would do an original...

Para mawala na yung tags sa Filipinos as copycats.

The Filipino is worth dying for. - Ninoy Aquino

Idiot

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 64
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:22:46 am »
I agree to the thread starter even to Freddie Aguilar  masasayang lang ang mga career nila sa International kung imitation lang ang gagawin nila pero sa Pinas hindi syempre tyak ipopromote yan ng ABS or some tv station  parang FAD lang yan (hindi flesh asia daily) na sikat ka ngayon kapag nagsawa na maglalaho ka na lang

mas maganda habang nandyan sila sa international market  makagawa sana sila ng original composition

dati hype na hype sila sa Pinas ngayon parang wala lang hindi ko na naririnig nagpapatugtug ang mga nagbebenta ng cd uso ngayon si Lady GAGA tsaka si taylor na kumanta ng love story

metal1369

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 12:24:12 am »
gawing steping stone yun kasikatan nila ngayon sa amerika to promote filipino music.

pwde naman english language na OPM syempre fresh sa pandinig ng mga kano yun.

tapos matutuwa mga kababayan natin sa amerika na sabik sa mga kantang pinoy.

docalbert

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 8
    • Kindly visit my blog:
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 12:26:23 am »
hey doc, moymoypalaboy had already composed and sang original songs in their UPLOADED album yet still you're a non-believer in their talents. You're also a non-believer in Arnel and Charice because they never composed an original song...ano ba talaga doc, all I see is you being a hypocrite tsk tsk tsk  smoking::

Ang alam kong definition ng hypocricy is being pretentious. So I was not able to see your point dahil up to now I am not a fan of the abovementioned celebs.

With regards to Moymoy, my point is basically their style in generating laughter and entertainment (making funny faces) which is childish and moronic to my taste. I never mention anything about songwriting skills.

About Charice and Arnel, well the article sums up my sentiments. I am happy that their careers have taken off but dont take away my freedom to criticize. Criticizing a fellow  Filipino does not necessarily mean crab mentality especially if what you are hoping for is the betterment of the product or person itself.

Of course, if youre happy on what they are offering (singing other people's songs) I wont take it away from you. ideally, I would like to a have a Pinoy international superstar who have the caliber of a true artist---one can offer Pinoy ingenuity to the whole world and not just be a copycat.

If that is being a hypocrite in your book, there is definitely something wrong.
"In This Country, You Gotta Make the Money First. Then When You Get the Money, You Get the Power. Then When You Get the Power, Then You Get the Woman."--- From The Movie Scarface.

Visit my site:

namster

• Living under the ESPIYA blood in my veins....
  • Knights of PS
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 365
  • Espiya Loyalista Forevah!!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 12:31:37 am »
Charice PamPampengco <-- you read it right.. pampam sya.. her style is still not acceptable for me.. mahilig syang kumanta ng mga sobrang taas pero hirap naman siya na kantahin ito.. nakuha lang niya ang mga ta(n)ga hanga niya dahil sa abs-cbn.. pero kung sa sariling paraan niya.. wala siyang patutunguhan..

Arnel Pineda -- This guy used only his brain and yet his talent is still lacking.. kailangan pa niya ng konting practice para talag ma-consider syang international artist..
Let the real blood of an espiya live once again in my veins...

Erotomania

• Espiya Drummer
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 288
  • i wish i had an angel
    • www.moderndrummer.com
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 12:33:36 am »
Well, speaking of Arnel, im truly proud of him....

Way back late 90's ng nasa hiatus stage na ang Journey, because steve perry cannot be in the band anymore... and lets admit that steve perry is steve perry, they tried to revive the voice of steve perry sa katauhan ni steve augerri, but nagkasakit din si steve augerri at hindi nagtagal sa band, so eto na si arnel and the rest is history...

regarding sa "copy cat" issue ni steve perry si arnel, alam nyo ba na meron talagang kamukha at kaboses si steve perry?
eto ay ang "Evolution Band" http://www.evolutiontheband.com/ ... kuhang kuha nyan ang boses, kilos at pati hitsura ni steve perry, mistula nga siyang clone ni steve eh...  watch them here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkgFMzSngg0

hindi lang sya ang clone kung mapapansin mo, even ang gitarista ay clone ni neal schon pati ang the rest of the band...

and sino ang may sabi na kaboses ni arnel si steve perry?? c'mon, if your a fan ng Journey since 80's pa lang, alam mo na hindi nya kaboses si arnel.... try listen to steve augerri, siya ang exact copy ni steve perry, pati ang vocalist ng evolution band...

dalawa ang choices ng Journey para sa next vocalist nila.... jonathan cain's choice ( Journey keybordist ) is the vocalist of evolution band, and neal's choice is arnel... so pinag record nila ang dalawa ng sabay, malakas ang ugong na mapipili yung tribute na vocalist because of his exact clone image ni steve perry, pero si arnel pa din ang pinili nila... bakit?

dahil gusto na nilang iwan ang steve perry na pangalan, na kapag sinabing Journey eh si steve perry ang naaalala ng tao, they want to start a new generation again.... pakinggan nyo si arnel kumanta ng ibang song, like Heart's Alone, Survivor's The Search is Over and other song's, si steve perry pa din ba ang nakikita nyo sa kaniya?

meron si arnel na wala si steve, siguro yung passion niya while singing, that's why mas maraming naniniwala na hindi ka boses ni arnel si steve perry, that is if your a fan and knows the history of journey and steve very well.....

The Dark Knight

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 15
  • I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 12:39:42 am »
off topic: nice to see you again 123kid....miss you, pRE....uhmm thats weird... laffman::

namster

• Living under the ESPIYA blood in my veins....
  • Knights of PS
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 365
  • Espiya Loyalista Forevah!!
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 12:43:47 am »
off topic: nice to see you again 123kid....miss you, pRE....uhmm thats weird... laffman::

Off the Topic:

The Dark Knight: pre, taga bangkusay ka lang di ba? gusto mo pumunta d2 sa amin? dito ako ngayon sa may quiricada.. eto cp number ko: 0908-981-8171
Let the real blood of an espiya live once again in my veins...

old_navy43

• .a CHEF on the RUN.
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 49
  • "if the mind can believe, the body can achieve"
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 12:54:31 am »

Way back late 90's ng nasa hiatus stage na ang Journey, because steve perry cannot be in the band anymore... and lets admit that steve perry is steve perry, they tried to revive the voice of steve perry sa katauhan ni steve augerri, but nagkasakit din si steve augerri at hindi nagtagal sa band, so eto na si arnel and the rest is history...

regarding sa "copy cat" issue ni steve perry si arnel, alam nyo ba na meron talagang kamukha at kaboses si steve perry?
eto ay ang "Evolution Band" http://www.evolutiontheband.com/ ... kuhang kuha nyan ang boses, kilos at pati hitsura ni steve perry, mistula nga siyang clone ni steve eh...  watch them here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkgFMzSngg0

hindi lang sya ang clone kung mapapansin mo, even ang gitarista ay clone ni neal schon pati ang the rest of the band...

and sino ang may sabi na kaboses ni arnel si steve perry?? c'mon, if your a fan ng Journey since 80's pa lang, alam mo na hindi nya kaboses si arnel.... try listen to steve augerri, siya ang exact copy ni steve perry, pati ang vocalist ng evolution band...

dalawa ang choices ng Journey para sa next vocalist nila.... jonathan cain's choice ( Journey keybordist ) is the vocalist of evolution band, and neal's choice is arnel... so pinag record nila ang dalawa ng sabay, malakas ang ugong na mapipili yung tribute na vocalist because of his exact clone image ni steve perry, pero si arnel pa din ang pinili nila... bakit?

dahil gusto na nilang iwan ang steve perry na pangalan, na kapag sinabing Journey eh si steve perry ang naaalala ng tao, they want to start a new generation again.... pakinggan nyo si arnel kumanta ng ibang song, like Heart's Alone, Survivor's The Search is Over and other song's, si steve perry pa din ba ang nakikita nyo sa kaniya?

meron si arnel na wala si steve, siguro yung passion niya while singing, that's why mas maraming naniniwala na hindi ka boses ni arnel si steve perry, that is if your a fan and knows the history of journey and steve very well.....

I concur to this! at naging fan nako ng Journey mula nung si Arnel na naging vocalist nila..

Pero ke Charice? wala talaga akong bilib sa kanya... taas lang boses niya! I think? hehe  toast::

lakazmo

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 1
  • Dick Israel II
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 01:25:02 am »
their magnificent but OA...peace
Rape me...............

Adamas

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 4
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 01:26:39 am »
I agree. Sure they are successful, but they are merely singing old famous songs that others have already popularized. The talents indeed have the singing voice, but what they lack are song writers (pinoys or not) who will create ORIGINAL songs for them to popularize. Look at the other international celebrities, they have their own songs, they never became popular because of singing other artists' songs.

What ever happened to the days when there were a lot of nice pinoy songs being created? Even if some were written in English, like those Joey Albert songs, at least they were original.

Another thing that the pinoy music industry lacks is the ability to create interesting music videos. Gone are the days when music videos were not needed to popularize a song. Like it or not, a lot of the consumers (or music fans) are also attracted to music videos that fit the song. Music videos are now part of the build-up for the artists performing the song and popularizing it even to the foreign music fans.

Music videos have the ability to impart the idea of a song even if the language the song is being sung in is foreign to the listener. Watching the story unfold on the screen, with emotions from each actor, to the setting and environment can also tell the listener what the song is all about.

I just hope that pinoys would stop underpaying song writers to give them motivation to be more creative, and at least to give the local music video producers more budget so that they can create videos that can go up to par with those being created by the Koreans, Japanese, and the Americans. Frankly speaking, pinoy music videos suck majority of the time because if it's not just an entire performance show of the singer or the band with nothing else happening, it is just made of an unimaginative representation of what the music is all about, with the lack of budget destroying what could have been a great show.

jflash23

• hindi dahil matagal kana sa espiya tama ka na..
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
  • iba ang pisikal sa marumi..ROW 4
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 01:35:13 am »
mas gusto ko pa sila moymoy palaboy sa kanila

laffman::

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 01:45:00 am »

Fortunately, topics being talked in here didn't change. There's just so much hate, so much hate that I couldn't begin to imagine where it's coming from. For a change, let's try to focus on people as they are and not as they aren't.

As much as I would like to keep my self exiled, I have to warn people that this kind of thinking where one see everything's negatively or something in that sense is not the type of people you want to surround yourself with.

Charice may not sing original songs but that doesn't mean she's not capable of writing her own material. Her time will come when she can be herself but for now she has to do what she's told because that would allow her to have the resources she may need if that opportunity finally lands on her lap.

Judging Arnel Pineda on his writing skills may be pushing envy to change the term to your own name.

Show some love.

All Roads Lead to Espiya's Resident Genius, 123kid123.

Mods, mods! Help! I just got owned! - multimillion dollar man

I do have followers. They post everywhere I post. Do you?

monkey d luffy

• GearThird
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
  • eslupmi d rorepme
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 01:57:05 am »
crab mentality pa rin  ::lmao
toast::
AGREE!!!!!!
theres always someone who will hate. . .
A man never needs a reason to wear a suit

_nikOs_

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
  • My Son.....
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 02:16:37 am »

Tama ka pre sa sinabi mong iyan...

Sa article na nakita ko regarding kay Ka Freddie calling Arnel and Charice as "monkeys", just read the people's comments especially the OFW's in the US. They love the guy because of his humbleness and as they say, his time will come to show what he's really worth.

Lets just be happy about them, If youre so eager to show us your opinion (which is your right btw), then please learn to accept and go over our opinions as well.

I hate to say but I smell "inggit" around here.