Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Global Warming News  (Read 3021 times)

praeto_RYAN

• It is an adjective, not a noun!
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 77
Global Warming News
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:42:53 pm »
The effects of global warming -

'Monster' iceberg shedding hundreds of offshoots'

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/external/reutersav/av_reuters_all/2a35b8f9ecee0a54015b829a3abe37a4/34390660;_ylt=AqsrFSHDZN5NRLSapIBqGkyGOrgF;_ylu=X3oDMTE5amxyZms1BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl9yX3RvcF92aWRlbwRzbGsDYXVzdHJhbGlhaWNl/*http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/17091989

Mon Dec 14, 4:29 am ET
SYDNEY (AFP) – An island-sized iceberg is breaking up as it drifts closer to Australia, producing hundreds of smaller slabs spread over a massive area of ocean, experts said Monday.

The 140-square-kilometre (54-square-mile) block of ice, known as B17B, was seen some 1,700 kilometres (1,054 miles) south-southwest of Australia's western coast on December 9, prompting a maritime alert for vessels in the area.

But as it has tracked further north and east the iceberg has shrunk to some 115 square kilometres -- still formidable at about twice the size of Manhattan.

"There are now many more smaller icebergs calving off B17B, measuring up to several kilometres in length, and spread over more than a thousand kilometres of ocean," said Australian Antarctic Division glaciologist Neal Young.

Young, who has tracked B17B using satellite images from NASA and the European Space Agency, said the iceberg was some 400 square kilometres in area and 40 metres high when it first broke off from Antarctica.

"If you didn't know about the early picture you would still say it's a monster," Young told AFP.

Young said he expected B17B to totally dissolve but was unable to predict when this would happen.

"Might be two weeks, might be several weeks. The key thing at the moment is it's getting thinner," he said.

"It's got its feet in what it thinks is warm water -- about six to eight degrees Celsius (45 F) -- we think that's freezing cold but for an iceberg that's quite warm.

"So it's thinning from the bottom and that's what's going to lead to it breaking up."

The iceberg, which calved from the eastern end of the Ross Ice Shelf nearly 10 years ago, is expected to continue tracking in a more easterly direction.

Australian authorities last week issued a shipping alert over the possible hazard from icebergs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091214/ts_afp/australiaantarcticaiceberg

When you brighten another's path, you also brighten your own. - Transsiberian (2008)

codered

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
Re: Global Warming News
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:03:19 pm »
Naalala ko tuloy yung isang post na manipulated daw ang global warming.

Madarame Ikkaku

• Ang Dakilang First Element
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
  • I got no intentions of becoming a captain.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:22:02 pm »
Naalala ko tuloy yung isang post na manipulated daw ang global warming.

if it is ice.. it's gonna melt.. ang ice naman is tubig to begin with...

noon nagkaroon ng global cooling... ngayon naman is global warming...

natural lang ang lahat na nangyayari...
I have a knack for delivering bad news.
Religion creates nothing except intangible emotional solace for those who require it.

darcknight

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »
O akala ko ba SCAM, JAFAKE, a figment of ones fantastic imagination ang global warming... 
THE SPADE IS THE SWORD OF JUSTICE, ITS RAPIER MARKS THE END

praeto_RYAN

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 77
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:07 pm »
the problem is if melts, given its size, that water would have to go somewhere else.  sabi nga it drifted into a water that is between 6 to 8 degrees celcius, and for an iceberg, thats hot na nga raw.

and if icebergs around the world continue melting, then there would be a lot of places that would be flooded.  remember, there was a time when even after a few months after a typhoon here in the philippines, parts of bulacan and pampanga were still submerged in water when other places were already dry?  if we don't do anything about our environment, our actions would eventually catch up with us.

para sa mga magsasabi ng what am i doing for my part, here goes.  i've done several coastal clean-up and tree-planting activities.  garbage segragation na kami sa bahay although hindi pa naman required sa community namin.

i say, all our concerted efforts, be it small, if combined would eventually add-up to something that will benefit us in the future. 

When you brighten another's path, you also brighten your own. - Transsiberian (2008)

JoeBlack

• Suspended
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 11:51:51 pm »
Honestly, I think its going to happen to matter what or at least with the rate of action since the issue had gone big. There is no action in the public side, and only the private or businesses are making the moves.

Another problem with the "solutions" is it is aimed at the small things. Planting trees, eco friendly light bulbs, etc. Yes, it do sum up but it's not the lone solution.
SUSPENDED 6 MONTHS

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 01:25:29 am »
if it is ice.. it's gonna melt.. ang ice naman is tubig to begin with...

noon nagkaroon ng global cooling... ngayon naman is global warming...

natural lang ang lahat na nangyayari...
Way to go genius  :applause! if its ice its going to melt, only a 3rd grader could make that up.. well you could look at it this way also, if its liquid its going to freeze, or if its liquid its going to evaporate.

And yes its natural, natural disaster that is

With the way things are going, we are all fukkd up, every summer is getting hotter than the summer before that, and every rainy season has more powerful typhoons than the previous..

Madarame Ikkaku

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 01:28:45 am »
Way to go genius  :applause! if its ice its going to melt, only a 3rd grader could make that up.. well you could look at it this way also, if its liquid its going to freeze, or if its liquid its going to evaporate.

And yes its natural, natural disaster that is

With the way things are going, we are all fukkd up, every summer is getting hotter than the summer before that, and every rainy season has more powerful typhoons than the previous..

You go live your life in paranoia. Paranoid..
Religion creates nothing except intangible emotional solace for those who require it.

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:30:35 am »
You go live your life in paranoia. Paranoid..

Awareness is the word. Well i envy your stupidity then.  ::lmao

Madarame Ikkaku

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:33:53 am »
Awareness is the word. Well i envy your stupidity then.  ::lmao

*cough

praeto_RYAN

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 77
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 03:49:37 am »
reading all the posts above, parang hindi ko namiss yung joint session ng congress at senate.   ;D

seriously speaking, the mere fact that you opened the link and read thru the article is because there is but concern or at the very least, curiosity. 

likewise, however small the contribution towards the welfare of mother nature, it still is an action towards positive results.  piso-piso ika nga bawat pilipino, milyon-milyon na pag pinagsama. 

lets go on with the discussion and in whatever capacity, we are but contributing to each others enrichment. 

reminder lng:  lets just say things with finesse.

peace all   ;D 

manyakihiro

• I Am a Night Creature ......... I crawl at night.
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
  • Not Intrested w/ d Status Quo, I'll Overthrow it..
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 05:47:17 am »
Away kayo ng away, sasabunutan ko na kayo e!!!  >:(  ;D

Kung talagang interested kayo sa Climate Change, you may see my post sa science section ;) ;) ;):

http://espiya.net/forum/index.php/topic,107736.0.html

toast::

VeilSpy

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 28
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 06:11:40 am »
natural lang naman na nag memelt ung yelo.. ang nakakabahala is ung  rate ng pagbilis masyado ng pagkatunaw ng mga yelo..

praeto_RYAN

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 77
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 03:55:01 am »
natural lang naman na nag memelt ung yelo.. ang nakakabahala is ung  rate ng pagbilis masyado ng pagkatunaw ng mga yelo..

if you'd read the article, its not the fact that the ice is melting that is a cause for concern, but rather the high speed of it.  natural talaga na may natutunaw.  somewhere along the line meron ding tumitigas na tubig at nagiging yelo.  somehow both actions would result in an equilibrium.  or at least hindi magkalayo yung dalawa to at least cancel out each others effect.  pag masyadong malaki ang difference, that is where we are in trouble.

VeilSpy

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 28
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 04:20:05 am »
if you'd read the article, its not the fact that the ice is melting that is a cause for concern, but rather the high speed of it.  natural talaga na may natutunaw.  somewhere along the line meron ding tumitigas na tubig at nagiging yelo.  somehow both actions would result in an equilibrium.  or at least hindi magkalayo yung dalawa to at least cancel out each others effect.  pag masyadong malaki ang difference, that is where we are in trouble.

if you'll read my reply again. youll find that its exactly what i meant.. toast::

Idiot

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 64
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 04:45:50 am »
it's not alarming

but I don't want my Grandchildren na kumakain ng tao dahil walang na silang makain