Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Spain to turn over some 70 historical maps to strengthen PH claim over disputed  (Read 10746 times)

A7x

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 149
  • Shhh.. Be quiet you might piss somebody off..

MANILA, Philippines - Two days before China comes out with its official maps that highlight territories in the South China Sea, which are also being claimed by the Philippines, Spanish Ambassador to Manila Jorge Domecq said his country was willing to turn over to the Philippines some 70 of the latter's historical maps.

Domecq made the announcement on Tuesday at the sidelines of the sixth Tribuna España-Filipinas, a high-level dialogue between the two countries held at the AIM Conference Center in Makati City.

During the event, Domecq was asked what Spain could contribute to strengthen the Philippines' claim over the disputed territories in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea), given that Madrid and Manila shared hundreds of years of historical heritage.

"I think that is something that you probably have to dig into the archives (for)… I can send it to you, where you have around 70 maps, which are a private collection, and then you can draw your conclusion," Domecq replied.

Sen. Edgardo Angara also owns a vast collection of Philippine maps dating back to Spanish colonial times, which include an old map showing that Scarborough (Panatag or Bajo de Masinloc) Shoal belongs to the Philippines. China refers to the rock fomation as Huangyan Island.

According to Angara, it is clear that the shoal was part of the Philippines' cartography during the Spanish colonial area. The senator said there is a map made in 1734 that shows that Panatag was already part of the Phillippine Islands, which was then under Spanish colonial rule.

China has been firm in its stand that it owns the entire South China Sea, citing its historical inheritance and the nine-dash-line on its ancient map.

But a senior official from the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), who requested anonymity for lack of authority to speak on the matter, said that with or without the old maps from Spain, the Philippines would win its case against China.

Case before UNCLOS

Earlier this month, the Philippines filed a case against China over its excessive territorial claims before the Arbitral Tribunal of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (Unclos).

"China’s claim is not based on the Unclos, it is based allegedly on some other laws. Ours is an entitlement, therefore legally, we have territorial sovereignty [over the West Philippine Sea]. So between the two of us, I don't have the burden of truth, you [China] have the burden of truth,” the senior DFA official told InterAksyon.com in an interview on Tuesday.

According to the DFA official, the Philippines has full rights over the 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zone provided by the Unclos.

“We are the one who have an entitlement, theirs are [just] claims. We don't have to prove ourselves...the law already proved it. They are the ones with a claim that's not based on a written law, but on their own concept of laws, so why put a burden on me [Philippines]?,” the official said.

China is set to come out with its new official maps showing the 130 islands and islets of the South China Sea or the nine-dash-line claims, including the islands and waters that the Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei and Malaysia also claim.

The new maps, which for the first time put the disputed islands in South China Sea in equal scale to that of the Chinese mainland, are published by China's national map publisher SinoMaps Press and will be available to the public by end of January this year. The maps also feature islands in East China Sea being claimed by Japan.

DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez on Tuesday said the department was still waiting for the Philippine Embassy in Beijing to verify the existence of the new map highlighting the disputed territories.

“As we have said, we are still asking our embassy in Beijing for verification regarding the map and the extent of the coverage of the map,” Hernandez told reporters.

He said the DFA would "act accordingly" as soon as it sees the new China maps and the extent of their coverage.

If the maps cover parts of the Philippine territory the DFA will again "file a protest" against China’s action, according to Hernandez.

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/53834/spain-to-turn-over-some-70-historical-maps-to-strengthen-ph-claim-over-disputed-territories
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

::goldfingerplease ::goldfingerplease ::goldfingerplease

Breath

• Act what you can do, Dont act like stupid!
  • Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 21
  • "Remember The Name"
 toast:: this is good news to all filipinos! on the other hand, sana nga lang sana...
hindi mag take advantage ang ibang lahi sa iniingatang yaman ng pilipinas.

comsci24

• Regional: America-Canada
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
sana nga totoo to at hindi mauuwi sa salita lang nanaman.  toast::
http://i48.tinypic.com/2hwz1jn.jpg
Read new signature rule -- support@espiya.net

Core2_i7

• I am a LOVER not a FIGHTER!
  • Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 67
  • =Core2 since PINOYSPY DAYS=
tapos maglalabas din ang china ng ancient maps dating from pre-colonial era/times  laffman::

freeyourmind

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 88
you only need a working brain, to know things out..too bad its too late. china has already a naval platform with 1 docked ship in mischief reef thats infront of palawan. thats because of filipino cowards they let it happen in the 90's. yes we cant win against china metal for metal. buts whats a fight if you fight for nothing..? your woth than the lowest animal.

MascarizE

• volleyballer
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
its called business. Different story but has the same result. everyone wants black gold, problem here is once we make the break ( just what if we win against china ) who will benefit from it? is it the Republic of the Philippines? or the rich businessmen? or better the contractors with their so called projects.

makukuha din natin yan some day. it's within the Philippine area of responsibility. I hope that before that happens ma-polish muna ung politics sa pilipinas kasi naman garapal na mga magnanakaw dito and the justice system is to slow to make decisions. i am hoping for the best for this country
t(-.-t