Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade  (Read 26716 times)

Don

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
Re: Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2008, 03:58:32 am »
Nasaktan ako dun ah...... Ilang tao na ba sa Pilipinas ang pinag-aral ko, yung iba kamag-anak ko at yung iba di ko man kaanu-ano, na hindi naman ako umasa ng kabayaran. Ilang simbahan na ba ang nabigyan ko ng malaking donasyon, masaya na ako dahil sinama ako ng pari sa misa at personal niyang panalangin. Ilang tao na ba ang naipaopera ko at nailigtas ko ang buhay. At ilang tao na ba ang naibigyan ko ng maayos na libing. Sa darating na Pasko ay ikalabing dalawang taon na kaming namimigay ng groceries sa mga mahihirap na kapitbahay namin, 250 pamilya yun.

Ganito lang pala ang tingin ng ibang tao sa amin..........

Di bale, tuloy lang ang trabaho at tuloy ang tulong sa kapwa tao ko. Kung di mo man malampasan ang mga nagawa ko sa kapwa mo, mapantayan mo man lang sana.

"Nurse po - UCLA"

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2008, 04:00:21 am »
iPhone quote... relevance to slavery... still waiting

and if you choose to work for fair/reasonable compensation how is it slavery? since Nurses choose to take the NCLEX and IELTS(as requirements for a VISA SCREEN for an IMMIGRANT/WORKING VISA or permit)

Slavery (also called thralldom) is a social-economic system under which certain persons—known as slaves—are deprived of personal freedom and compelled to work.

Slaves are held against their will from the time of their capture, purchase, or birth, and are deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to receive compensation (such as wages) in return for their labor. As such, slavery is one form of unfree labor.

In its narrowest sense, the word slave refers to people who are treated as the property of another person, household, company, corporation or government. This is referred to as chattel slavery.

coated_pill

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 30
  • Die before you get killed.
    • Ultimate Software Source
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2008, 04:03:40 am »
So walang connection ang salary mo sa discussion dito, pero you freely mocked a respected profession? that's it...yun lang jokjok.. tapos!

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
To Don:Re: Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2008, 04:04:18 am »
Nasaktan ako dun ah...... Ilang tao na ba sa Pilipinas ang pinag-aral ko, yung iba kamag-anak ko at yung iba di ko man kaanu-ano, na hindi naman ako umasa ng kabayaran. Ilang simbahan na ba ang nabigyan ko ng malaking donasyon, masaya na ako dahil sinama ako ng pari sa misa at personal niyang panalangin. Ilang tao na ba ang naipaopera ko at nailigtas ko ang buhay. At ilang tao na ba ang naibigyan ko ng maayos na libing. Sa darating na Pasko ay ikalabing dalawang taon na kaming namimigay ng groceries sa mga mahihirap na kapitbahay namin, 250 pamilya yun.

Ganito lang pala ang tingin ng ibang tao sa amin..........

Di bale, tuloy lang ang trabaho at tuloy ang tulong sa kapwa tao ko. Kung di mo man malampasan ang mga nagawa ko sa kapwa mo, mapantayan mo man lang sana.

"Nurse po - UCLA"

Understand the image carefully Don.It is not what you think it is.
Read on the prescribed medication na hawak hawak nung Filipino.

Like what I said,it's sympathetic to the Filipino Nurses.

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2008, 04:13:41 am »

and if you choose to work for fair/reasonable compensation how is it slavery? since Nurses choose to take the NCLEX and IELTS(as requirements for a VISA SCREEN for an IMMIGRANT/WORKING VISA or permit)

Slavery (also called thralldom) is a social-economic system under which certain persons—known as slaves—are deprived of personal freedom and compelled to work.

Slaves are held against their will from the time of their capture, purchase, or birth, and are deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to receive compensation (such as wages) in return for their labor. As such, slavery is one form of unfree labor.

In its narrowest sense, the word slave refers to people who are treated as the property of another person, household, company, corporation or government. This is referred to as chattel slavery.

You mean connection of the text to slavery?
Or the text to the "supposed Hollywood Hills but became Hollywhore"?
Or the text to the Aeta?
Or the text to the Nurse?
Or the text to the Filipino People?

It is so simple my Bro.
The text is just an element in the whole composition just to connote the needs,or rather wants coming from a member of a family.
When an OFW is in abroad,certain family members expect that getting money is as easy as picking a stone along the streets of Malibu.
A demand in certain luxury will begin to surface,because of the thought that a dollar account is as powerful as buying anything you want.

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2008, 04:23:18 am »
So walang connection ang salary mo sa discussion dito, pero you freely mocked a respected profession? that's it...yun lang jokjok.. tapos!

Who said that my salary has a connection to this thread?I just answered your question.Di ba? May nagsasabi ba na may connection?
And then when I stated it,that I am getting as low as P8,000 pesos,you pressumed that I am a slave-referring to the humiliating compensation that i get.

Ikaw nga a nag mock sa akin eh.Haha.

Another one: Silence is defeat.

You people,until when will you realize that you were the ones giving bad denotation to the image and not me?
You are using the image,giving another meaning,worlds apart form what I intended to do,then you are all giving up?

Naku naman.You are saddened by this what you call mockery.
What about the thousand of Filipna women in this website that are posted with all their glory without them knowing it?

Do you know anything about justice?

You pathetic loosers.

b0ler0

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 99
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2008, 04:30:05 am »
Jokjok, gusto mo bang maging personalan ang labanan?  Wag ka namang mamersonal, pare.  May "pathetic loosers" ka pang nalalaman e.

If people shoot down your arguments, then shoot down their arguments about your arguments.  Don't attack their honor.  Argumentum ad hominem na yan e.  Worse, flaming na rin yan, pare.

coated_pill

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 30
  • Die before you get killed.
    • Ultimate Software Source
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2008, 04:33:22 am »
wala na asar na.. tsk tsk.. tama ka bolero.. now look jokjok.. sino nagmumukhang pathetic looser???

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
To Bolero:Re: Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2008, 04:33:59 am »
Jokjok, gusto mo bang maging personalan ang labanan?  Wag ka namang mamersonal, pare.  May "pathetic loosers" ka pang nalalaman e.

If people shoot down your arguments, then shoot down their arguments about your arguments.  Don't attack their honor.  Argumentum ad hominem na yan e.  Worse, flaming na rin yan, pare.

Okay sige I'm sorry.Hindi ako ang naunang mamersonal.Please read the thread.
I was explaining to them the whole image and then they are throwing these words to me.

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2008, 04:35:57 am »
wala na asar na.. tsk tsk.. tama ka bolero.. now look jokjok.. sino nagmumukhang pathetic looser???

Haha.Answer my statements Mr.BitterPill.
Hehe...You can't justify your mockery.
Focus on the image and not my salary.

Hehe.

Gino

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2008, 04:40:36 am »

Or the text to the Aeta?

It is so simple my Bro.
The text is just an element in the whole composition just to connote the needs,or rather wants coming from a member of a family.
When an OFW is in abroad,certain family members expect that getting money is as easy as picking a stone along the streets of Malibu.
A demand in certain luxury will begin to surface,because of the thought that a dollar account is as powerful as buying anything you want.

Let me reiterate:

Since you're very particular with the use of terms, given your argument, your composition has a serious error in pragmatics. By using the image of a woman (a Filipina "slave" nurse) and coining the term HollyWhore underneath, you are conditioning you're viewers to presuppose that the nurse is indeed the whore in question. And mind you, that is the semantics that a vast MAJORITY understands and is accustomed to.

I understand that artists have to be open-minded as well, but you are showing abject stubbornness in the criticism of your work and the opinion of others. Does that go with the school? And is that the right etiquette for an artist who supposedly graduated with latin honors?

So you're saying that you are the artist. So what? We are your viewers. Just as an actor cannot exist without his audience as a basis for social adaptation and change (they do teach that in Soc Sci at where you're from?), an artist is nothing without his viewers. Just as an actor adapts to the needs of his audience, an artist has to adapt to his viewers as well.

That is how we grow in the real world.

I am not the enemy Mr. Banal. I am your viewer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:42:16 am by Gino »

corrupted_one

• Your Spy in the Hospital
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
  • Tender Loving Care
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2008, 04:43:23 am »
Hehehe naaaliw ako sa inyo ;D

MasterChief63

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2008, 04:48:22 am »

Or the text to the Aeta?

It is so simple my Bro.

so your saying na AUTOMATIC LAHAT NG UMAASA SA NURSES or KAHIT SINONG OFW MALUHO PARA SABIHIN NA KAILANGAN NILA ANG PERA MULA SA PAWIS PARA LANG SA LUHO, this generalizes all of us who are dependents of OFWs and MIGRANT WORKERS to be GREEDY ONLY WANTING THE MONEY FOR LUXURIES LIKE TH iPHONE, PASENSYA KA NA PERO HINDI KAMI LAHAT GANUN NA ANG ALAM LANG EH LUHO DAHIL MERON DIN NAMAN SAMIN NA ALAM ANG HALAGA NG PINAGHIRAPAN NG MAGULANG O KAKAMAGANAK SA BANYAGANG LUPA

pero still ANO ANG CONNECTION NG iPHONE SA SLAVERY, its a connotation to a pint na SOME dependents expect money to buy LUXURY aside from baasic needs but what does it have to do with SLAVERY?

Gino

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2008, 04:51:41 am »
And let me add: You could've just added the word "Destination:" before HollyWhore. That to me, has better pragmatics than the current form of your work. That has semantics that the average viewer can readily grasp and appreciate.

Maybe we do have something in common, aside from the fact that we came from the same school. They say I'm an atheist - I take offense on that, I'm an agnostic theist - while you are currently the heretic artist. But at the very least, I know when to keep my mouth shut. I think it will be prudent for you to learn that as well.

DjDaveTrance

• "A real man gives up one night stands, for a woman he can't stand one night without"
  • Regional: Cebu
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 270
  • Pioneer/VIP/Staff/Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2008, 04:53:57 am »
Its really SAD in my Part being a STUDENT NURSE to the thread STARTER! yes you have a POINT but I think Its not appropriate for giving such drastic COMMENTS/OPINION or what you may Call it..... Its better to be slave (but earning something for our family) than to be slave than nothing to earn at all. and BEsides its a GOOD JOB. INGGit ka lang CGURo kasi they are earning something na pinag paguran nila kaysa sa iba dyan......

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2008, 04:54:38 am »

Or the text to the Aeta?

It is so simple my Bro.

Let me reiterate:

Since you're very particular with the use of terms, given your argument, your composition has a serious error in pragmatics. By using the image of a woman (a Filipina "slave" nurse) and coining the term HollyWhore underneath, you are conditioning you're viewers to presuppose that the nurse is indeed the whore in question. And mind you, that is the semantics that a vast MAJORITY understands and is accustomed to.

I understand that artists have to be open-minded as well, but you are showing abject stubbornness in the criticism of your work and the opinion of others. Does that go with the school? And is that the right etiquette for an artist who supposedly graduated with latin honors?

So you're saying that you are the artist. So what? We are your viewers. Just as an actor cannot exist without his audience as a basis for social adaptation and change (they do teach that in Soc Sci at where you're from?), an artist is nothing without his viewers. Just as an actor adapts to the needs of his audience, an artist has to adapt to his viewers as well.

That is how we grow in the real world.

I am not the enemy Mr. Banal. I am your viewer.

Well Gino,I don't know when you will accept the fact that the image is not a mockery to the Filipno Nurses?
If that's the case, you think I will go out and show my real identity to the world of who I am?
I will tell you a thousand times that the image is sympathetic to the Filipino nurses.
When will you believe that it is.
My latin honors has no connection to the image,as well as the UP College of Fine Arts.
But the way they taught me on how to sympathize with people,especially the poor masses never outgrew me.

I hope you are now getting my point MR.Gino.

stewwy

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 2
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2008, 04:59:45 am »
 ??? pwede po paki explain yung ginawang image nyo? yung step by step explanation na kung paano kayo nakarating sa paggawa ng image na yan at kung ano ang connection nila sa isa't-isa. di ko kasi talaga magets eh. ???

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2008, 05:04:20 am »
And let me add: You could've just added the word "Destination:" before HollyWhore. That to me, has better pragmatics than the current form of your work. That has semantics that the average viewer can readily grasp and appreciate.

Maybe we do have something in common, aside from the fact that we came from the same school. They say I'm an atheist - I take offense on that, I'm an agnostic theist - while you are currently the heretic artist. But at the very least, I know when to keep my mouth shut. I think it will be prudent for you to learn that as well.

You know I wouldn't keep my mouth shut.
You already said we came from the same institutions and shared the same library.

You should also consider that I have my own way of arranging a visual composition.In my opinion,arranging it with the word "destination" would be very much contrived.It will never express an exploration of thoughts from the viewer since you will just see it "as is".
We are not trained with that.

And you know,we always have answers to any question.
We are the same right?

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2008, 05:08:07 am »

Or the text to the Aeta?

It is so simple my Bro.

so your saying na AUTOMATIC LAHAT NG UMAASA SA NURSES or KAHIT SINONG OFW MALUHO PARA SABIHIN NA KAILANGAN NILA ANG PERA MULA SA PAWIS PARA LANG SA LUHO, this generalizes all of us who are dependents of OFWs and MIGRANT WORKERS to be GREEDY ONLY WANTING THE MONEY FOR LUXURIES LIKE TH iPHONE, PASENSYA KA NA PERO HINDI KAMI LAHAT GANUN NA ANG ALAM LANG EH LUHO DAHIL MERON DIN NAMAN SAMIN NA ALAM ANG HALAGA NG PINAGHIRAPAN NG MAGULANG O KAKAMAGANAK SA BANYAGANG LUPA

pero still ANO ANG CONNECTION NG iPHONE SA SLAVERY, its a connotation to a pint na SOME dependents expect money to buy LUXURY aside from baasic needs but what does it have to do with SLAVERY?

NO i am not saying it.I am showing it.
Do I make myself clear?

Gino

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2008, 05:11:45 am »
It just struck me that given your profile, I assumed that you'd be better behaved than this. Looks like I was wrong.

My point is, Mr. Banal Jr., that your demand for openness has to go both ways. You want us to be open about your work, you have to be willing to be open to criticisms and opinions as well. Quid pro quo, if you may say?

Other than that, the deal you want is a no go. And from the way things are going, looks like it'll never will.

I hope you are now getting my point Mr. Banal.

clickaway

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 9
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2008, 05:14:40 am »
kung ang tingin niya sa nurse ay ganyan na. anu pa kaya sa mga DH?

.  <---  ito lang utak mo tingin ko.

MasterChief63

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2008, 05:22:33 am »

Or the text to the Aeta?

It is so simple my Bro.

Do I make myself clear?

where you have yet to actually show it in any of your posts, you keep on pointing to something else, you began with the how does the SLAVERY of Africans by the early White Man relate to a child asking mommy for an iPhone hehe

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2008, 05:23:08 am »
It just struck me that given your profile, I assumed that you'd be better behaved than this. Looks like I was wrong.

My point is, Mr. Banal Jr., that your demand for openness has to go both ways. You want us to be open about your work, you have to be willing to be open to criticisms and opinions as well. Quid pro quo, if you may say?

Other than that, the deal you want is a no go. And from the way things are going, looks like it'll never will.

Well,Mr.Gino.from the very start of this discussion,your reply seems to be very pessimistic.I know the difference between constructive criticisms and a destructive one.Just like an apple and a guava.I was explaining that your denotation is not what I intended to imply.
But you insisted.

So what am I gonna do?

I am open to criticism.

MInd you Mr.Gino.Why is it that your are so concerned about the "mockery" you extracted from the image.
What about the thousand of Filipinas and women being exposed on this site without their knowledge?What about their breats,nipples and cunts?
Would you care about that?
Answer me.

Gino

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2008, 05:26:55 am »

Well,Mr.Gino.from the very start of this discussion,your reply seems to be very pessimistic.I know the difference between constructive criticisms and a destructive one.Just like an apple and a guava.I was explaining that your denotation is not what I intended to imply.
But you insisted.

So what am I gonna do?

I am open to criticism.

MInd you Mr.Gino.Why is it that your are so concerned about the "mockery" you extracted from the image.
What about the thousand of Filipinas and women being exposed on this site without their knowledge?What about their breats,nipples and cunts?
Answer me.

You can always start by doing a boycott of this site. Or is that too much to ask of you?

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2008, 05:29:15 am »

Or the text to the Aeta?

It is so simple my Bro.

Do I make myself clear?

where you have yet to actually show it in any of your posts, you keep on pointing to something else, you began with the how does the SLAVERY of Africans by the early White Man relate to a child asking mommy for an iPhone hehe

Hehe,you should also understand that the image is an image.
The mere fact that you don't get the connection of every element is such a lackness on your part.
You are not a student from primary school to simply understand the relevance of the text from the image.It is just a simple logic my friend.

Why is it that your are so concerned about the "mockery" you extracted from the image.
Answer me.