Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Publisher steals laptop from Google to make a point  (Read 1160 times)

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
Publisher steals laptop from Google to make a point
« on: June 07, 2007, 03:44:35 pm »

READ CAREFULLY

We can't say that we'd recommend a CEO steal property from Google in order to prove a point, but the head honcho of Macmillan Publishers pushed his superego aside and did just that at a recent BookExpo America in NYC. It's no secret that a number of publishers have been up in arms about Google's approach to digitizing their works, but Richard Charkin went so far as to recruit a colleague and swipe a pair of laptops from a Google Books kiosk at the event. About an hour later, the booth attendants actually noticed the missing goods and presumably began to panic, and the haughty executive then had the nerve to return the machines to their rightful owners whilst dropping the "hope you enjoyed a taste of your own medicine" line. He justified the bizarre behavior by suggesting that "there wasn't a sign by the computers informing him not to steal them," apparently referencing Google's controversial tactics when scanning books. That'll show 'em, Mr. Charkin.

Kal-El

• The Man of Steel
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 12
    • The Last Son of Krypton
Re: Publisher steals laptop from Google to make a point
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 05:07:37 pm »
this is why it is really odd how Google is able to do this given the law on plagiarism is quite strict even on students...
"The son becomes the father, and the father becomes the son..."

mozarellagotcha

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 3
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:10:00 am »
ang tibay ni Charkin....

RPinay

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 1
  • Hentai Gaijin of the World Unite!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 05:01:39 am »
Although I don't condone the act, it was a good ploy. When you look at how things are going, ebooks are the wave of the future. I hope, however, that the old bound tome will not disappear. Its different when you read an actual book. The feel of it in your hands; its weight and heft adds something to the book reading experience. Also, I must confess, first thing I do when before I begin to read a new book: I open it up and smell it. Not the *sniff* type, but a lung filling one. (fetish?! hehehe) rating9.5::
I'd like to thank my parents, especially my mother and my father. ;)

ignas

• Active - First Star
  • Karma -12
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 01:56:45 am »
ina mo charkin! k.j ka!

gosto lang namen mag basa ng buks wag ka madamot olol ka