Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Gabe Norwood willing to play for National Team  (Read 4009 times)

zaraki kenpachi

• self improvement is masturbation...self destruction is the answer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 14
  • pagmulat ng mata...langit nakatawa...
Gabe Norwood willing to play for National Team
« on: April 27, 2007, 11:34:08 am »
makakatulong ba sya sa national team or hindi!

sa tingin ko oo malaking tulong sya for national team.

George Mason University's 6-5 Fil-Am guard Gabe Norwood said the other day he's open to the possibility of suiting up for the Philippine team in the 2008 Beijing Olympics but will still consult with agent Jim Moughton of Miami on his basketball future as his ultimate goal is playing in the NBA.

Norwood, 22, was recently invited by coach Chot Reyes to join the national squad at the Joe Abunassar impact training camp in Carson City and fit in nicely as the Philippines downed a US selection, 98-74, at the Home Depot Center. He compiled eight points and six assists.

Norwood played only a game and stayed four days at the camp before flying back to Virginia to complete his requirements for graduation.

"I enjoyed the experience of being with coach Chot and the guys," said Norwood in The STAR interview. "I learned a lot in such a short time. My roommate was Asi (Taulava) who's a bit undersized for a big man but he works hard, is an inside presence and holds his own against bigger guys off the glass. And he can run, too."

Norwood said from what he saw in Carson City, the Philippines can give Yao Ming and company a good fight in the FIBA-Asia Olympic qualifiers.

"The team has good balance," said Norwood. "The guys are the best in the PBA. They're competitive. They play at a high level. They work hard and play a fast pace. I like Jimmy's (Alapag) leadership. I didn't get to play with Dondon (Hontiveros) who was injured during the game but I know he's a great player, too. The team lacks a bit of size but it has speed, shooting ability and great athleticism."

Norwood is the oldest of five children. His father Brian was a defensive back for the University of Hawaii varsity and a former Calgary Stampeder in the Canadian Football League. His grandmother Frances Viloria traces her roots to Camiling, Tarlac.

A news report from Hawaii said Norwood's mother Tiffiney Hardy is a fifth-generation Hawaiian whose ancestors migrated to Maui from the Philippines.

Last year, Norwood visited the Philippines for the first time with the Athletes In Action team that played eight games, seven against college varsities and one against an undermanned national quintet.

"It was like a sentimental homecoming for me because I'd never been home," said Norwood. "The PBA playoffs were going on so the national team we played against wasn't complete."

Norwood said he's comfortable playing any of three positions on the floor - point guard, off guard and small forward. "I can play whatever coach Chot wants me to," he continued. "I'll fill in the spot where I can contribute the most."

Playing in the Olympics would be a milestone in his career. "Of course, my dream is to play in the NBA like everybody else," he said. "But playing in the Olympics would be a big accomplishment. It would rank up there with leading my high school team to the state title and playing for George Mason in the NCAA Final Four."

In 2005-06, George Mason went all the way to the Final Four and lost to eventual NCAA champion Florida. This past season, the Patriots posted an 18-15 record. Norwood's farewell varsity game was a 10-point, 25-minute off-the-bench effort in a 65-59 loss to Virginia Commonwealth last March. He received the Dean Ehlers leadership award as a senior for integrity and sportsmanship in academics and sports. Norwood was cited by college basketball writer Michael Litos for his hustle and athleticism as a "vital part of coach Jim Larranaga's scramble defense."

Next month, Norwood will play for Athletes In Action in the Czech Republic. In case he's not picked in the NBA draft, Norwood said he'll explore other options like showing up in free agent camps, playing for the Philippine team and applying for the PBA draft in August.

Source: Lifted from The Philippine Star, an article of Joaquin Henson
my country is the world and my religion is to do good

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
Re: Gabe Norwood willing to play for National Team
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 12:55:29 am »
Seriously our PBA poster boys aren't Filipino anymore. We have more than a fair share of foreign blood. Hell, all we have. Or should I say, all they have. Let the natives play. Having filipino-origin is so over rated.
Caguioa
Helterbrand
Seigle
Taulava
Alapag

All of them, send them back where they belong. If they argue that they are filipino and they belong in the Philippines. I suggest they draw a line from USA and the Philippines, measure up to the middle, and stay there because that's as close as they are being a Filipino.

All Roads Lead to Espiya's Resident Genius, 123kid123.

Mods, mods! Help! I just got owned! - multimillion dollar man

I do have followers. They post everywhere I post. Do you?

Master Dave

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 153
  • Master of none
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 01:09:55 am »
Caguioa is pure pinoy, he just grew up in the states...

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 02:04:37 am »
And you call that pure pinoy? The only Filipino in him is his blood. Am I really missing something here?  Blood really defines a person? Instead of his experiences?

Master Dave

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 153
  • Master of none
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 03:09:13 am »
And you call that pure pinoy? The only Filipino in him is his blood. Am I really missing something here?  Blood really defines a person? Instead of his experiences?

well, yeah.. un lang naman talaga ung argument sa PBA regarding Fil-Ams. guys like Asi, Hatfield, Penissi, those guys can't prove that they do have filipino blood. But Caguioa was never really classified as a Fil-Am because both his parents are pinoy.

erick brian mendosa

• Pioneer
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma -2
  • oh my...oh my! ohh yeah!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 03:29:07 am »
PBA nowadays are obviously loosing a lot of fans and expectators. most of the natives kc either bangko o limited lang ang playing time unlike the fil-ams na komu-konsumo ng majority ng playing time. matagal na kong di nakaka nood ng pba cguro mga 10 yrs na. last na pinanood ko yung nag champion yung ginebra kontra alaska, ito yung si cris king pa yung import nila tapos then di na ko nanood. sino ba namang gaganahan manood ng pba, puro filams at import lang ang parating naglalaro at sa isang taon ang daming championship games. laffman:: dapat isang championship lang kada taon parang nba para magkaroon ng pananabik ang mga fans. at para din makasali mga players natin sa mga international games.

superhero

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:09:12 pm »
well opinion mo yan, kasi madami pa naman talaga mga pinoy breed ang nag sstandout sa games kahit may mga fil-ams...tsaka kng ayaw mo manood ng games ok lang din, kng sa tingin mo e konti na lang nanonood mali ka siguro doon, dahil madami pa rin ang nanonood ng games ng PBA be it live o sa TV...Caguioa is a pure Filipino...kng sasabihin mo na di sya Filipino dahil lumaki sya sa States e di parang sinabi mo na din hindi Filipino yung mga milyong kababayan natin na nasa ibang bansa ganun ba? come to think of it, buti nga sila mas binibigyang halaga ang pagiging Pinoy nila kesa naman sa iba dito sa pinas na pinipilit maging American, the way they talk and act...mas nakakahiya mga yun, pinanganak at lumaki nga dito e di naman asal Pinoy... alin ka doon?

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:50:28 pm »
You retarded monkey. He grew up in the U.S. He ate, studied American way. In fact, he went through every would American went through. Hindi mo makuha punto ko pare? Ang bobo mo naman. Simple lang yan.

Kal-El

• The Man of Steel
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 12
    • The Last Son of Krypton
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 03:45:15 pm »
You retarded monkey. He grew up in the U.S. He ate, studied American way. In fact, he went through every would American went through. Hindi mo makuha punto ko pare? Ang bobo mo naman. Simple lang yan.

First and foremost, you shouldn't be talking like that. Insulting another in a debate/argument only shows immaturity, ignorance, and incivility. Show some respect for someone else and their opinions, and in return you yourself will gain respect. All superhero did was to provide a rebuttal to your argument. Why take offense from that? If another person cannot take your opinion, let it be, and accept it. There is no need to be hostile and call people names. Are we still in grade school here? I don't think so. Please be man enough to stand for your own opinon, be open to criticisms and rebuttals, and respect other's opinions.

Second, your point is well taken about what defines a person, but defining a person is deeper than simply defining what a Filipino is. If you put it that way, can you or will you say the same thing for Jose Rizal, the National Hero of the Philippines, who studied abroad all his life? as you put it, "He grew up [in a foreign land]. He ate and studied [the foreign] way." Ok, Rizal might be too big an example. But come to think of it, its all about coming back to claim his roots and give back to the country. The same should be thought of for these players. Granted, they are doing this for the money. Nonetheless, they are still giving back to the nation by giving entertainment through basketball. I have met a lot of foreign-born, pure blooded Filipinos who still call the Philippines their home though they've never been there even once. Is it really just to take it away from them just because they've accustomed themselves to foreign ways? I don't think so. Most, if not all, of them were born in that situation. They never chose to be foreign-born. Why penalize them for that?

A Filipino, is a Filipino by his/her blood. His/her experiences from his/her environment can solidify his/her being a Filipino. But this should not be the basis of what a pure Filipino is. In the end, no matter what you grow up to be and how you were raised, your blood as a Filipino is the one that will matter when in comes to claiming the title "Filipino". It's value is intrinsic, and no one can take that away from you. People will not ask you of your experiences and assess whether or not you are a Filipino. They will simply ask what you are.

Yes, this is my opinion. You may disagree with everything that I've written, but show some respect.

-------------
Apologies to Zaraki, thread starter, since this is way off the topic....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 04:01:38 pm by Kal-El »
"The son becomes the father, and the father becomes the son..."

esteve

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 05:51:29 pm »
opinion ko lang to and wag sanang magalit ang iba dyan.pba is run by ALMOST ALL FIL AMS.i guess filipino pa rin sila and they have rights too play also.WALA NAMANG MASAMA DYAN. sa mga hindi fil ams dapat pagbutihan nila ang kanilang paglalaro.i guess its not justifiables na sabihin na wag palaruin ang fil ams kasi dapat pinoy origin talaga.sa mga pinoy origin then pagbutihan ninyo ang paglaro.marami rin namang pinoy origin na umangat at nalagpasan ang ibang fil ams like hontiveros,james yap, raymundo and etc.DAPAT PAGLARUIN ANG MAGAGALING AT KARAPAT-DAPAT.IN SHORT YOU HAVE TO PLAY HARD AND GIVE YOUR BEST IN EVERY SITUATIONS.EVERYONE HAVE THE RIGHT!

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 08:00:54 pm »
Rizal grew up in the Philippines. Caguioa, didn't. He went back,... keyword back.  How can you go back to a place you've never gone to?

Another question, how can they represent the islands of Philippines? or Philippine Basketball in this case.

Kal-El

• The Man of Steel
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 12
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 08:38:04 pm »
Rizal grew up in the Philippines. Caguioa, didn't. He went back,... keyword back.  How can you go back to a place you've never gone to?

Another question, how can they represent the islands of Philippines? or Philippine Basketball in this case.

You don't have to grow up in a place to be able to call it home. Why, can't you call the land of your ancestors home? If so, then you can go home or go BACK home can't you?

And what do you mean "how can they represent the islands of the Philippines or Philippine Basketball in this case?" Dude, they already are representing the country. Aren't they called the "Philippine Team?" Maybe, I am not reading your question right...please expound...

megasyxx

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 04:23:52 pm »
ang kelangan natin center....ung mala shaq ang height tsaka weight. kahit na medyo banban, iba na rin ang malaki  bnana

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 04:00:42 am »
Take Alex Compton's case...

Asi Taulva - Filipino blood, less than a month in the philippines... ok
Danny Seigle -  Filipino blood, less than a month in the philippines... ok
Mark Caguia - Born in the Philippines, left soon after. less than a month in the Philippines... ok
insert _Half_Filipino_Player - Filipino blood, less than a month in the philippines... ok

ALEX COMPTON - Foreign blood, more than a decade here in the Philippines, served his time in PBL and other basketball leagues here.... NOT OK.

He's more Filipino than those listed above. My vote goes to residency. In my opinion, blood alone must not qualify you to play.

Kal-El

• The Man of Steel
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 12
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 12:20:30 pm »
Take Alex Compton's case.

Asi Taulva - Filipino blood, less than a month in the philippines... ok
Danny Seigle -  Filipino blood, less than a month in the philippines... ok
Mark Caguia - Born in the Philippines, left soon after. less than a month in the Philippines... ok
insert _Half_Filipino_Player - Filipino blood, less than a month in the philippines... ok

ALEX COMPTON - Foreign blood, more than a decade here in the Philippines, served his time in PBL and other basketball leagues here.... NOT OK.

He's more Filipino than those listed above. My vote goes to residency. In my opinion, blood alone must not qualify you to play.

i see  your point with Alex Compton. It is true that he has resided in the Philippines, played semi-pro ball in the PBL then pro ball in the MBA for years, and that alone should grant him permission to play in the PBA as a local. But still, the PBA didn't grant him local status. I believe he is even an import right now if I am not mistaken. Stupid rule? Yeah, I agree. He has played in this country for so long why stop now. But is it justifiable? Definitely. Although his ways might be more Filipino than most Fil-foreign players but the fact of the matter is, he is still not a Filipino. The rule clearly states that a person has to be a born-Filipino, a rule that should be re-defined. But it is what it is.

I understand your frustration on why blood is the determining factor. But why should it not be the factor when it is inherited? Let's focus on identity. When  you ask Alex Compton what he is, he probably will answer that he's a foreigner residing in the Philippines for a long time. On the other hand, ask a Filipino-born person anywhere in the world and I bet you they will answer that they are Filipino or part-Filipino. Now, is it right to take that away from them? No. Why? It is their inherited right. Again, it's a right to be a Filipino, and not a privilage. No one can deny anyone else's heritage. Adaptation to an ethnicity makes you belong, but it doesn't mean you are from that ethnicity.  And on the same note, no one can erase their ethnicity, there is no denying it either.

Let me take this at a more personal level. I have a 2 yr. old Filipino-Salvadorean son. He was born here in the States, and probably will not know much about the Filipino ways since he will not grow up in the Philippines. But is not growing up in the Philippines, not living in the Philippines, and not adopting to the local Filipino ways enough to deny him that he is Filipino? I don't think so. Blood is thicker than anything else. This is why most, if not all, countries have blood relation as one of the conditions to obtain citizenship. You are undeniably born with it whether you like it or not.

Now in tying all this up. I am with you when you said that residency should be enough to play in the league like in Alex Compton's case. But I disagree when you said that blood alone is not enough. PBA is a Filipino league for the Filipinos. Blood, above all things, identifies a person to be a Filipino. That's why blood alone is enough to play.

Hirochi

• Tsk! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk!
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -3
  • -=Im Here to Share=-
    • Do Visit Spytamers Site
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 09:56:47 am »
oo nga pure pinoy c caguioa... isa lng xa sa mga mga2ling na pure pinoy.. 2lad nila dany I. pero tama ka din sana mz mganda pag pure pinoy nga yun mga national team ntin. or kng hnd man, mas mrami sna ang pure pinoy.. tyaka sana gwin din nlang  82 games in one season ang PBA pra mas lalong gumaling mga player dito.. tingn niyo?

Kal-El

• The Man of Steel
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 12
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 12:35:57 pm »
oo nga pure pinoy c caguioa... isa lng xa sa mga mga2ling na pure pinoy.. 2lad nila dany I. pero tama ka din sana mz mganda pag pure pinoy nga yun mga national team ntin. or kng hnd man, mas mrami sna ang pure pinoy.. tyaka sana gwin din nlang  82 games in one season ang PBA pra mas lalong gumaling mga player dito.. tingn niyo?

maganda sana kung mas madaming laro ang PBA. Kaso, dahil sa konti lang ang teams, di ito pwede. mapapagod ng husto ang mga players. At isa pa, mas mamahal ang hihinging bayad ng mga players. Baka lalong mabawasan ang teams na sasali sa liga.  toast::

agentorange1980

• "Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean"
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -5
  • "ITADAKIMASTA!!!"
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 09:23:02 pm »
guys tama na yang pride and nationalistic crap we need big men for are Rp team dhil maliit talga pinoy at me malaki man ay tanga. Khit ibang bansa uso na naturalize khit iran o syria kya please lang we need khit 2 malaki lang na fil am. Wla tlaga atyu pag asa if we dont have a big center or forward na malakas tumalun at rebound at shot block. dmi na tayu scorer un nlang kulang talaga.Use your brain guys

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 12:21:07 am »
Go cheer China's team. International competition, teams represent their country. Keyword: represent.

On your other point, exactly the same _thinking_ that's dragging this country down. If Pedro does it, and Juan does it, it's fine to do it (legally and morally way).

onin

• onin ang itawag mo sa akin
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • matalino man daw ang matsing;matsing pa rin!
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 11:53:35 pm »
my point si 123kid,pero unfortunately the pba based their citizenship on technicalities kaya kahit ilang taon ka pa nanirahan sa pinas pero kung wla kang filipino blood eh d ka pa rin pinoy pra sa kanila which is somehow sad (bakit d nlng kaya mgpa naturalize c compton, kagaya ng mga pinoy sa us na naging kano??? ???).. sa case nman ng mga fil-foreign players, i don't think the philipine team could compete internationally kung wla ang mga fil-foreign players na big men katuad nla taulava,sa guards my laban tayo pero kung power forwards at centers na ang pinauusapan e malamang mas dehado tayo,dehado na nga tayo na andyan na cla taulava anp pa kaya kung wala??  yun lng po,bow..

Hirochi

• Tsk! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk!
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -3
  • -=Im Here to Share=-
    • Do Visit Spytamers Site
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 08:50:25 am »
guys tama na yang pride and nationalistic crap we need big men for are Rp team dhil maliit talga pinoy at me malaki man ay tanga. Khit ibang bansa uso na naturalize khit iran o syria kya please lang we need khit 2 malaki lang na fil am. Wla tlaga atyu pag asa if we dont have a big center or forward na malakas tumalun at rebound at shot block. dmi na tayu scorer un nlang kulang talaga.Use your brain guys

Use your brain daw oh. waahaha... tol ask ko syo, my dlawang 7 footer ang pinas, so pano ka re2bound kng ang mga kalaban mo lhat tumitira sa lbas, at mga shooter? pano yun? wahaha... kelangan pa ba ng mlkas na rebounder kng hnd nmn mag mi2ss ang klaban? wahaha... tyaka e2, when Argentina won the olympics do they really have a big guy who dominated inside? wla nmn... bkit na2lo ang argentina. ksi shooter at mbi2lis cla, and they know how to play international game. lhat nga cla tumitira sa 3 e... ito pa sabi mo mga player ng pinas shooter na?? ngek, iwan mo nga sa lbas ng libre mag 50-50 pa eh.wahaha....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:52:58 am by Hirochi »

fita

• What's In Never Out
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 5
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 04:01:04 pm »
Sabi nga ni Jaworski dati, nahahaluan na tayo ng hindi 100% na pure pinoy sa PBA. Lalo na daw yung mga pinapadala sa International competition. Sa coach palang daw. (Ito pinapatamaan nya si Tim Cone, sya kasi nagcoach nung sa Philippine Centennial Team)  laffman::

P***sDeMilo

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 3
  • Never argue with an idiot
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 03:37:50 am »
Sabi nga ni Jaworski dati, nahahaluan na tayo ng hindi 100% na pure pinoy sa PBA. Lalo na daw yung mga pinapadala sa International competition. Sa coach palang daw. (Ito pinapatamaan nya si Tim Cone, sya kasi nagcoach nung sa Philippine Centennial Team)  laffman::

ASTIG!!
I wanted to kill the sexiest person alive, then I realized...OH YA!  Suicides a crime!

P***sDeMilo

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 3
  • Never argue with an idiot
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 03:55:58 am »

ASTIG!!
I wanted to kill the sexiest person alive, then I realized...OH YA!  Suicides a crime!