Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: The Science of Depression  (Read 12401 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
The Science of Depression
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:52:35 pm »
What exactly is going on inside of a depressed person?

AsapScience look at the scientific basis for depression, and shed light on the fact that it is a disease with biological, psychological, and social implications.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOK1tKFFIQI&sns=em[/youtube]

simpleman1225

• I Am A Living Legacy To The Leader Of The Band
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 149
  • Share information so that others can benefit.
Re: The Science of Depression
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:39:42 am »
There are so many things going inside of a depressed person. Mostly, all are in the mind and mostly negative. A depressed person thinks that everything is not falling into its own place.

From family to personal life like career, money, relationship, etc..., it depends how the situation goes around. Mostly depressed person wants to be alone. They just want to be silent, thinking what, when, where, how and why things are happening or not happening.

According to research, depression, like most mental illnesses, puts considerable stress on our minds as well as our bodies. That is why most depressed person tends to commit suicide when they can't bear it.
"You know my name, not my story. You've heard what I've done, not what I've been through."

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:59:04 pm »
I'm reminded of a line from an article on depression that I read in an old issue of Esquire: One of the things that you don't tell someone who's depressed is "Hey, I hear Leaving Las Vegas is out on video! Wanna go rent it?"

Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 04:48:44 pm »
Depression is, in some ways, part of your personality. Even if you stop being depressed, how it felt shapes who you are. You can't necessarily be entirely separated from it.

Your emotions are VALID.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qe8cR4Jl10&sns=em[/youtube]

Jann Frost

• Pronmeister
  • Knights of PS
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 143
  • Rough over Mellow
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 05:41:11 pm »
Depressed since my high school senior year. It's like a part of my system now. Still trying to fight it even I admitted to myself that I'm a failure to my family (no suicidal tendencies though) And it's true, it causes short term memory on daily basis. Got selective memory too. I only remember what I want and the worst, embarrassing, sad moments of my life. I only recall a few happy moments. Well I'm the best when it comes to memorization before but now every time i try to recall something even if it's just a while ago, i experience blurry visions in my head. Sometimes when I'm trying hard to recall it, it's like I'm in a library and trying to flip a lot of books, finding the answer to my question then i suddenly i feel electrocuted when I got my answer. It's my fault if I lead the life of being depress but I hope one day I'll make out of this pandora's box before I suffer from early alzheimer or whatever disease I can get from it.

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:48:09 am »
Depressed since my high school senior year. It's like a part of my system now. Still trying to fight it even I admitted to myself that I'm a failure to my family (no suicidal tendencies though) And it's true, it causes short term memory on daily basis. Got selective memory too. I only remember what I want and the worst, embarrassing, sad moments of my life. I only recall a few happy moments. Well I'm the best when it comes to memorization before but now every time i try to recall something even if it's just a while ago, i experience blurry visions in my head. Sometimes when I'm trying hard to recall it, it's like I'm in a library and trying to flip a lot of books, finding the answer to my question then i suddenly i feel electrocuted when I got my answer. It's my fault if I lead the life of being depress but I hope one day I'll make out of this pandora's box before I suffer from early alzheimer or whatever disease I can get from it.

Are you receiving help--preferably the professional kind--in any way, Seigneur Frost? That's the important thing. As admirable as it might be that you're being strong on your own, a burden--physical or otherwise--becomes easier when there are other hands to help bear it.

FerminaDaza

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 04:07:36 am »

well, parehas tyu bro  ::laffman

I'm doing the work/my inner work and kinda HELP me (I'm still a work in progress) so i turn my "it's my fault" to "I can suck and I can be awesome" my choice...but I cannot experience both positive & negative emotion AT THE SAME TIME. If I try to hold both at the same time, I CAN'T.Then I can't relax.

What works for me though, is learning to acknowledge/accept how i feel and *allow it.Then I started to be more loving and kinder to myself( help me to move and NOT wallow for months,years to my own suckery) To be able to recognize the eff it moment and slow down. The more i eff up the more i pampered myself.Then i'm back to awesomeness  :D (sounds so easy to say but it really takes *practice and that's how i change or program or stimulate or rewired my own brain neurons)  ;D

I only remember what I want and the worst, embarrassing, sad moments of my life. I only recall a few happy moments.

It's ok to remember or not remember,what's important is the *meaning you give to your story.What happens when we keep on recalling the past, we also keep giving a *new meaning to it.That is the tricky part.Any stories you tell repeatedly will grow more powerful.

When I recall stories that had happened many years ago and then I'm stuck and give more awful meaning to it.ugh.It didn't work well for me, but as soon as I realized that my *memory/memories is just a collections/re-collection of what *I think happened-in short It's just me and everything is not sh*t-that kinda help. ;) I begin to recall stories that had happened and *blame effectively:

1.Story

2.who I blame?

3.why do I blame them?

4.what do I blame them for?

Our old story doesn't really make sense if we blame someone(you just giving it power) You just have to figure out who you blame--AND START TO BLAME THEM BETTER. e.g. If that didn't happened_______ i wouldn't realized that ____(I'm really awesome)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:09:58 am by FerminaDaza »

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 04:53:22 am »
well, parehas tyu bro  ::laffman

I'm doing the work/my inner work and kinda HELP me (I'm still a work in progress) so i turn my "it's my fault" to "I can suck and I can be awesome" my choice...but I cannot experience both positive & negative emotion AT THE SAME TIME. If I try to hold both at the same time, I CAN'T.Then I can't relax.

What works for me though, is learning to acknowledge/accept how i feel and *allow it.Then I started to be more loving and kinder to myself( help me to move and NOT wallow for months,years to my own suckery) To be able to recognize the eff it moment and slow down. The more i eff up the more i pampered myself.Then i'm back to awesomeness  :D (sounds so easy to say but it really takes *practice and that's how i change or program or stimulate or rewired my own brain neurons)  ;D

It's ok to remember or not remember,what's important is the *meaning you give to your story.What happens when we keep on recalling the past, we also keep giving a *new meaning to it.That is the tricky part.Any stories you tell repeatedly will grow more powerful.

When I recall stories that had happened many years ago and then I'm stuck and give more awful meaning to it.ugh.It didn't work well for me, but as soon as I realized that my *memory/memories is just a collections/re-collection of what *I think happened-in short It's just me and everything is not sh*t-that kinda help. ;) I begin to recall stories that had happened and *blame effectively:

1.Story

2.who I blame?

3.why do I blame them?

4.what do I blame them for?

Our old story doesn't really make sense if we blame someone(you just giving it power) You just have to figure out who you blame--AND START TO BLAME THEM BETTER. e.g. If that didn't happened_______ i wouldn't realized that ____(I'm really awesome)

Signora Daza's right. It's not just our bodies that need a workout. Our mind and our soul also need crunches, lunges, squats, bends, and all that. We shouldn't just be mindful of the weight we carry around our waistlines but the weight we carry in our hearts. All too often, it's the latter that is the hardest to bear and the hardest to be rid of in our lifetime. We tend to see our mistakes in life as condemnation: fingers pointing at us as if to judge that we are the lowest of the low and are doomed to a life of misery.

But the thing is, even though depression is something that we can't really control, how we deal with it is still within our abilities and our choosing. Aside from getting professional help when and where it's needed, we also need to take stock of ourselves and come to grips with the things that make us depressed. Some of those things might still be resolvable; go resolve them as best and as definitively as possible. That way, you get closure, if nothing else.

Some of the things that make us depressed can't be undone. In which case--as Signora Daza said--we shouldn't look at those things as utter failures. We fail only when we don't learn from experience. As simple as it might seem, it does help to take each mistake from the perspective of time and distance. Then it's possible to see those mistakes as teaching tools for ourselves.

As a personal example, whenever I used to look back at my relationship with She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named, all I felt was on overwhelming feeling of despair as I recalled all the time, effort, and resources that went to waste trying to maintain a relationship that fell apart. Signora Daza can bear witness that there were times when I felt that the best thing that She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named could've done for me was to kill me so that I could be spared all the heartbreak I was going through.

Nowadays, though, I look at that relationship in the manner that Signora Daza mentioned above. I tell myself, "Okay, it didn't work but if I hadn't gone through that, I would never be able to understand what heartbreak is; I would never be able to connect with, understand deeper, and better help those going through what I went through; I would always be falling for a pretty face without knowing what kind of person was behind it; and I would never learn to see and to appreciate the truly important qualities of a person with whom I'm in a relationship."

Are there still days when I get depressed over what happened between me and She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named? Yes, there are (again, Signora Daza can attest to this). But those days are now fewer and farther in between. A lot of the time, it's a matter of asking yourself: "What is making me depressed?"; "Why is it making me depressed?"; "Should it really even be making me depressed?"; "What can I do about it?"; and "What can I learn from it?"

Jann Frost

• Pronmeister
  • Knights of PS
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 143
  • Rough over Mellow
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 05:45:22 am »
@Fermina

Medyo mali pala sinabi ko. What I meant by remembering only what I want is that it's my mind who chooses what I want to remember. It picks for me even if I don't want to or it erases my memory even I wanted to cling on it like good memories you want to use as inspiration. About "trying to forget" naman, at first I want to "forget" things because if you don't it will keep haunting you back. But what I learn is that you must embrace it rather than forgetting. It's like this: "The more times you think you want to forget, the stronger those memories become. But if it's something you're meant to forget, it will, or else embrace it." And don't worry, I can manage this myself. I learn how to accept things and admit all the mistakes I've done and I learn how to forgive myself. Faith in me, on restoration :D

But the thing is, even though depression is something that we can't really control, how we deal with it is still within our abilities and our choosing. Aside from getting professional help when and where it's needed, we also need to take stock of ourselves and come to grips with the things that make us depressed. Some of those things might still be resolvable; go resolve them as best and as definitively as possible. That way, you get closure, if nothing else.

If only people know what it's like to suffer from depression, they won't berate us as cowards who can't deal with a "mind-over-matter-cheapskate" like it's easy as math problem to solve. They won't know that it is uncontrollable. It's like a thief in the night that will steal away your happiness. In tagalog, "para kang binagsakan ng langit at lupa" meaning you're in hell and need to deal with this and fight with it that could go through years. Pero of course, some are strong like us who loves to head on and battle our depression. And yes it is resolvable.

And about sa love issues naman na yan, matagal ko na nalabanan yang depression na yan. It's just one day I learn how to not give a fuck about it :D Tipong "fuck girls, I don't need it. I won't chase you if you don't want to." (dati kasi para kong tanga na umaasa pa kahit ilang buwan na lumipas) I don't if it's funny or weird but I learn how to control my feelings or rather I learn how to turn on/off my emotions (just like in Vampire Diaries) lol. I could care or not care at all about you if it's that what I want. Kaya nakakatakot if this is some kind of curse or blessing kasi what if the day comes that I'll be married? I'll feel bad for my wife if sometimes she's just like nobody to me. Pretty scary. But anyways hopefully if that time comes, I hope the love is enough to bring me back to my old me which is loving human being who is loyal and be an under-de-saya for you. :D :)

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 02:17:48 pm »
If only people know what it's like to suffer from depression, they won't berate us as cowards who can't deal with a "mind-over-matter-cheapskate" like it's easy as math problem to solve. They won't know that it is uncontrollable. It's like a thief in the night that will steal away your happiness. In tagalog, "para kang binagsakan ng langit at lupa" meaning you're in hell and need to deal with this and fight with it that could go through years. Pero of course, some are strong like us who loves to head on and battle our depression. And yes it is resolvable.

That's one of the primary reasons why depression didnn't seem to merit serious attention (before Robin Williams' death, at least). A lot of people still mistake it as a "phase" that you're supposed to outgrow or just another mood like happiness or boredom. They don't see the day-to-day struggle that people who suffer from depression have to undergo.

For some people, their depression can be lessened or even banished simply by having someone who knows them well and whom they trust reach out to them to offer support, encouragement, and hope. For others, there really is a need for professional intervention. Either way, depression should never be seen as something trivial and easy to dismiss. So many lives--or too many lives--have been lost because signs were missed and opportunities to help slipped past. 

FerminaDaza

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
Exercise is as effective as therapy/medication for depression
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 01:11:42 pm »
The results of a UK study on depression and exercise show that it’s possible that exercise is as effective for treating depression as therapy or medication.

"Our initial research hypothesis was that trained muscle would produce a substance with beneficial effects on the brain," says Jorge Ruas, principal investigator at the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet.

"We actually found the opposite: well-trained muscle produces an enzyme that purges the body of harmful substances. So in this context the muscle's function is reminiscent of that of the kidney or the liver."

Depression can be created by sitting slouched in a chair, shoulders hunched, head hanging down. Repeat these words over and over: "There's nothing anybody can do. No one can help me. I'm helpless. I give up." Shake your head, sigh, cry. In general, act depressed and the genuine feeling will follow in time... Feelings follow behavior." ~ David K. Reyno

yeah, work that arse off ! try to danz like a demented duck in your undies instead  ;D

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:14:29 pm by FerminaDaza »

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
Re: Exercise is as effective as therapy/medication for depression
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 01:39:30 pm »

yeah, work that arse off ! try to danz like a demented duck in your undies instead  ;D

Ducks can suffer from dementia?  ;D  laffman::

FerminaDaza

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 01:49:20 pm »
Ducks can suffer from dementia?  ;D  laffman::

HAHA whatevs werks seigneur... it works for me (dancing like a crazy duck)  ::laffman

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 01:58:57 pm »

HAHA whatevs werks seigneur... it works for me (dancing like a crazy duck)  ::laffman

Next time, try engaging in physical activity like a dancing dormouse (as the British would say). I think that's supposed to be more intense than a demented duck. If you find it difficult to move like a dancing dormouse, you can always purchase a hand puppet of a rat to serve as your partner.  laffman::  ::lmao  ::flowers

FerminaDaza

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 02:11:00 pm »
you can always purchase a hand puppet of a rat to serve as your partner.  laffman::  ::lmao  ::flowers

noted seigneur  :D or else me & our friend 'kokomo' might as well become a ventriloquist beauties?! LOL

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv60KZJ56WA&sns=em[/youtube]

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 03:04:59 pm »
noted seigneur  :D or else me & our friend 'kokomo' might as well become a ventriloquist beauties?! LOL

There's a Christmas party with a talent portion that I am suddenly rather hesitant to attend.  laffman::  ::lmao