Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Learning to Let Go of What your Mind doesn't Need...  (Read 3012 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Learning to Let Go of What your Mind doesn't Need...
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:53:50 pm »

Once there were two monks who lived in a monastery high up in the Himalayas in India.
These monks had taken vows of poverty,celibacy,and service,and spent most of their time
with the others in the order totally removed from the world and studying the ancient scriptures.
It come to pass that these two monks had to take a journey down to the city to gather some supplies.
And so they set off from their mountain home.

After several days of travelling to a wide river filled with rapidly rushing water.
The river lay between them and their destination and so they prepared to wade across it.
Suddenly,they noticed a beautiful young woman pacing back and forth along the river banks.
When she noticed the monks,she quickly approached them,bowing  in the usual respectful manner.
"Oh,revered ones,"she began."Surely God sent you to me.
I must get across the river to find milk for my children,but it is too high and I am too short
and poor swimmer at that.Surely I will drown If I attempt a crossing.
I have been praying for a miracle and now you have arrived.
Would you be so kind as to carry me on your back to the other side?"

The older of the two monks smiled at this lovely creature and said"We are servants of God.
of course we will help you."And with thwt,he bent over,offered her his back,hoisted her up as high
as he could,and began to ford the river,the younger monk following close behind with a scowl on his face.

Halfway across the rushing river,the older monk's energy began to fail him,"Brother,"he called out
to the younger monk,"it is your turn to take her the rest of the way."
The woman was transferred to the back of the second monk and they continued across until they
were safely on the opposite shore.
The woman thanked the monks profusely,touched their feet in respect,and went on her way.

The two monks walked down the ath toward the city and the younger monk began to speak.
"Brother,I am horrified,"he said."We have taken vows never to touch a woman,and yet you offered
to carry that one on your back and insisted that I do the same!What would people say?
What if someone saw us?Oh,this is just tragedy."The older monk did not respond.

An hour passed and the younger monk piped up again.
"How could you do this?he cried."We are tainted,ruined..All of our austerities are for naught.
We have touched the flesh of a woman,and a beautiful one at that!
What will we tell the head of the monastery?"
Again the older monk was silent.

Another hour passed and the younger monk now began to shout,"Brother,aren't you listening?"he cried,
tearing at his hair."We have sinned against God!"We are doomed!We will be reborn in our next life
as toads or vermin!
The older monk had been listening to this tirade for miles,turned towards the younger initiate and said,
"Brother,I left that woman back at the river bank hours ago.Why are you still carrying her?"

-At times we may find ourselves feeling like that young monk,carrying something in our mind that we just can't let go of.
it could be worry about a situation we can't do anything about.It could be a reaction to something that happened
to us.It could be a problem to which we just can't seem to find a solution.
Our mind.whose nature it is to analyze,can fixate on these issues,so that it feels like we can't think
about anything else.
-I experienced this kind of mental broken record frequently.I have a very analytical mind,and one which likes
to know the answers to things.so when i can't figure something out,it makes me very uncomfortable.
I've learned the hard way that there are times when we have to do what a dear friend of mine suggest:

JUST DROP IT.

As we think So we become.

Analysis is paralysis ;D

for those who red this story already its good to be reminded again...
and to others who doesn't, may this serves you such as encouragement...
credit goes to Dr.B.Angelis ::flowers

Saint Lucifer

• I love you more than Jesus!
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 2
  • I feel shame as a minor action
Re: Learning to Let Go of What your Mind doesn't Need...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:43:41 pm »
Hehe... a classic Zen Bhuddism story.

I agree w/ the moral lesson. but only to a certain degree.

By saintlucifer at 2010-02-17

namster

• Living under the ESPIYA blood in my veins....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 365
  • Espiya Loyalista Forevah!!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:58:38 pm »
it simply states that we should let go of the burden that keeps us falling down... ganun lang kasimple ang sinasabi ng story..

BTW: nice story... finger4u
Let the real blood of an espiya live once again in my veins...

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:26:19 pm »
it simply states that we should let go of the burden that keeps us falling down... ganun lang kasimple ang sinasabi ng story..

BTW: nice story... finger4u
exactly bro....thanks  :D

codered

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »
It should be applied on a case to case basis...One who sticks with his vows and wants to follow the rules set by it... and one who will react morally in a situation that calls for it even if he has to break a rule. Both shared good qualities.

FerminaDaza

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:36:04 pm »
It should be applied on a case to case basis...One who sticks with his vows and wants to follow the rules set by it... and one who will react morally in a situation that calls for it even if he has to break a rule. Both shared good qualities.
nice...thanks for sharing bro...
pero si young monk hindi maka move-on...?he he
parang at the end of the day lang din-we are still battling w/some thoughts & attitudes,
may times na you will find that by just letting go of your resistance to what your mind is doing,
your mind will calm down...luckily we have the freedom to choose what we will think,to change the thoughts
we are having now into those  that are more supportive & beneficial...

popeye1981

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 12:44:54 am »
Nice share.....For the monk it was just plain goodwill nothing more. But it somehow relates about temptations that are coming our way.  We tried to fight it but we most of the time lose.  The guilt is there keeps on ringing in our head. We've said never again and promised not to do it again but we do.   finger4u

subicboy

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 19
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 02:07:03 am »
galing talga ni mshappy    finger4u

FerminaDaza

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 05:16:27 am »
galing talga ni mshappy    finger4u
experience bro ,lesson learned ,im just like you bro  ;Dthanks

life is a classroom,we are all learners...