Espiya Technology Boards > Computer Help

Query: Who are Linux users here?

(1/4) > >>

Telesforo:

Mga spies, meron po bang mga LINUX users/guru dito? (eq. RedHat, Fedora, Ubuntu...)

Say something naman sa linux. Wala kasi ako makitang Linux Section lahat ata dito naka
Micro$oft Window$ XP Profe$$ional.

*Becau$e of the '$' we are tempted/forced to u$e pirated operating system.
sana hindi madagdagan yung negative karma ko.

Peace Out!

bodieph:
one problem with linux is that it has so many distributions. as such, there is no longer a standard among the systems

and because there seems to be no standard, support dwindles. even software makers are having some problems when making programs run in different linux distros. most other software makers just completely ignore compatability with linux (para ala na problema)

lastly, user interface. most linux distros still use DOS-like interface (i.e. not user friendly). though there are some that have tried to copy windows' GUI (i.e. linspire--formerly called lindows, and bayanihan)

usually, users of linux are companies. since the need for the computer is purely for business, the learning curve isnt that difficult as compared to using it for your personal use.

the good news though is that efforts have been underway for the last few years to come up with a third party app that would allow windows programs to run on linux systems (codenamed project david). that would certainly lessen problems with linux. this would most likely encourage more people to switch to linux.

however, no final release has been scheduled so far. there was a beta demo before wherein they made a powerpoint presentation run (using project david) in a linux system

private orange:
waaaaa...linux. ok sana dahil two thumbs up ako sa open source.kaso dahil nasanay ako sa windows platform, the first time i tried linux it took me more than an hour kung saan ko kukunin ung dinownload na file to be saved sa diskette. hehehe. na trauma ako. dun nga pala un sa comp. sa school.tinatangkilik kasi smen ang linux. its either... slow lng tlga ako o di lang siya user friendly...hehehe...sana di ung una. peace!!!  ;D

Telesforo:

--- Quote from: bodieph on April 14, 2006, 10:33:49 am ---one problem with linux is that it has so many distributions. as such, there is no longer a standard among the systems

and because there seems to be no standard, support dwindles. even software makers are having some problems when making programs run in different linux distros. most other software makers just completely ignore compatability with linux (para ala na problema)

lastly, user interface. most linux distros still use DOS-like interface (i.e. not user friendly). though there are some that have tried to copy windows' GUI (i.e. linspire--formerly called lindows, and bayanihan)

usually, users of linux are companies. since the need for the computer is purely for business, the learning curve isnt that difficult as compared to using it for your personal use.

the good news though is that efforts have been underway for the last few years to come up with a third party app that would allow windows programs to run on linux systems (codenamed project david). that would certainly lessen problems with linux. this would most likely encourage more people to switch to linux.

however, no final release has been scheduled so far. there was a beta demo before wherein they made a powerpoint presentation run (using project david) in a linux system

--- End quote ---

Well I agree with you bosing. specially on the distros, apps installation but if you're already familiar with console/terminal commands, one can create and suite apps to ones distro by means of compiling the source in your own distro as long as you have the required libs and dev files.

What I like most with Linux is that wherever I am, I still can manage my box, even using dial-up can have a total control of my box. This is for business purposes only.

Nowadays, Windows apps and games can run on top of Linux by using Wine (free) and Codeweavers(commercial version).

Thanks for the inputs. Please comment more.

bodieph:
yun nga ang problem ng linux, you have to be very knowledgeable about computers to use them well

in short, hindi sya user friendly. and that means it loses millions of potential users who are after ease of use

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version