Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: tekken revolution  (Read 1626 times)

IORIâ„¢

• elite
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 396
  • n if u complain once more u'll meet an army of me.
tekken revolution
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:41:30 am »

ABOUT:  Announced mere days before its surprise release on June 11th 2013, Tekken Revolution is a PS3-exclusive and "free to play" downloadable title. Being a free game, Tekken Revolution has an interestingly different layout than your typical fighting game. Revolution is built around a credits system, similar to a smart phone game, or how you'd put a quarter into an arcade machine. Single credits are used to play Arcade Mode or Online, and players can unlock credits by going through Arcade, winning online bouts, or simply waiting about 20 minutes. For players that don't want to wait for new credits to become available, Premium Coins can be purchased from the PS Store.

This experimental format for a fighting game is definitely interesting... and pretty darn exciting for a Tekken fan. Already, Namco has released several free updates to Tekken Revolution, adding in new unlockable characters, new stages (remixed from TTT2), and new modes such as Practice Mode & Mokujin Rush. Alternate costumes and "premium" special move effects were also made available as paid DLC. Producer Harada mentioned the possibility of adding entirely new characters to the game, such as this snazzy female vampire and sexy Tekken Force girl. From the looks of it, Namco will continue updating Tekken Revolution for quite a while.... The same way "time released" characters from back in the arcade days kept players coming back, Tekken Revolution's downloadable updates have kept things fresh and exciting since the release.

Tekken Revolution uses the core gameplay system from Tekken Tag Tournament 2. However, TTT2 players will immediately notice that the tag system and "bound" combos aren't present in Tekken Revolution. The removal of these elements shortens the length of combos, making them less damaging. (If you're familiar with the style of combos from the Tekken 4 or Tekken 5 era, you'll feel right at home).  Even though the Tekken experience has been streamlined in Revolution, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Revolution has a "traditional Tekken" feel about it, which may appeal to players intimidated by TTT2's advanced mechanics. Even as a hardcore TTT2 player, I can definitely still enjoy a fundamental 1-vs-1, more straight forward game of Tekken in Revolution. I'm also really enjoying the longer replays, which allow a better appreciation of Tekken's hard-hitting attacks.

The returning characters contain their vast movelists from TTT2. However, each fighter now has 4 "Critical Arts," which are typically their signature moves. Critical Arts supply increased damage when critical hits occur, and also present new visual elements like trails and blurring effects. (Namco getting ready for Tekken X SF I see!)  Fighters also have a Special Art technique, which gives them a period of invincibility during the start of the move. The addition of these special attacks doesn't necessarily change how Tekken is played, but they do offer new strategies and will also appeal to new players.

Along with the new visual effects on attacks, other graphical updates were added as well. All returning stages from Tekken Tag 2 show off new filters and lighting effects. While a refreshing change, I think some of the "coloring" filters on a few of the stages is slightly overdone, but the new lighting and more intense shadows look great. Character models are also outlined by a subtle "black line," giving the game a unique, slightly comic-esk appearance. A few character models were also updated, including new facial renders for Asuka and Lili. In addition, a new "back walking" animation was added along with several impact animations (and a new tech roll animation). Overall, the graphics do appear slightly sharper and more vibrant than that of TTT2. On a side note, all stages also feature brand new BGMs!

Strangely, Tekken Revolution is strictly an online game, meaning you must be online to play. The online modes include: Ranked Match & Player Match with various matchmaking options. Continuing Namco's track record with their most recent fighting games, the netcode in Tekken Revolution is top notch (which is obviously a necessity for a title like this). Tekken Revolution is a great example of how far netcode has come in recent years... it's incredibly smooth online most of the time. Offline modes include Arcade Battle, Character Enhancement, Options, and Playstation Store. In Character Enhancement, players can increase their characters' in-game stats, such as: Strength, Endurance & Vigor. I think Namco uses the stats system to "charm" beginners and casual players. Personally, I think the stats system is unnecessary and makes online gameplay very imbalanced sometimes. Characters with a huge power meter can kill you with only a few hits and basic combos. *Scoff* 

Tekken Revolution has a bare bones set-up, and for a free game meant to "replicate an arcade experience," it's understandable. I found it interesting that the game didn't have a Practice Mode when it first launched, which also replicated the classic arcade experience. Y'know kiddies, we didn't get a "practice mode" when a new game came out in arcades back in the day. You put your quarter up and waited your turn to fight (possibly against someone already good at the game)... that was your practice mode. Tekken Revolution almost gives me that arcade nostalgia in that way....  Good stuff Namco.

Still, there's no local VS play.  I'm hoping Namco will be adding that at a later date. At the start of the game, players have access to 8 characters. Through playing through the modes and leveling up, you can unlock new playable characters (for free). So far, the only thing that costs actual money is buying additional credits, alt. costumes & premium effects. On the main menu, you'll also be notified of online events. These events have a beginning & ending date, and award players with experience bonuses, gold bonuses, etc. Tekken Revolution has been an interesting ride so far, and I can only imagine the package becoming more well-rounded as Namco continues to add content.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:45:57 am by _lotsku_ »

espiya sunday group cavaliers

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
Re: tekken revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:53:21 am »
been playin this for a while now, SUPER DELAY pag ONLINE BATTLE