Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Query: Who are Linux users here?  (Read 3695 times)

Telesforo

• Member: 6799
  • Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 78
  • Kamote Queue
    • Espiya ka ba? Magbasa ka muna!
Query: Who are Linux users here?
« on: April 14, 2006, 09:59:43 am »

Mga spies, meron po bang mga LINUX users/guru dito? (eq. RedHat, Fedora, Ubuntu...)

Say something naman sa linux. Wala kasi ako makitang Linux Section lahat ata dito naka
Micro$oft Window$ XP Profe$$ional.

*Becau$e of the '$' we are tempted/forced to u$e pirated operating system.
sana hindi madagdagan yung negative karma ko.

Peace Out!

bodieph

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
Re: Query: Who are Linux users here?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 10:33:49 am »
one problem with linux is that it has so many distributions. as such, there is no longer a standard among the systems

and because there seems to be no standard, support dwindles. even software makers are having some problems when making programs run in different linux distros. most other software makers just completely ignore compatability with linux (para ala na problema)

lastly, user interface. most linux distros still use DOS-like interface (i.e. not user friendly). though there are some that have tried to copy windows' GUI (i.e. linspire--formerly called lindows, and bayanihan)

usually, users of linux are companies. since the need for the computer is purely for business, the learning curve isnt that difficult as compared to using it for your personal use.

the good news though is that efforts have been underway for the last few years to come up with a third party app that would allow windows programs to run on linux systems (codenamed project david). that would certainly lessen problems with linux. this would most likely encourage more people to switch to linux.

however, no final release has been scheduled so far. there was a beta demo before wherein they made a powerpoint presentation run (using project david) in a linux system

private orange

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 12:54:01 pm »
waaaaa...linux. ok sana dahil two thumbs up ako sa open source.kaso dahil nasanay ako sa windows platform, the first time i tried linux it took me more than an hour kung saan ko kukunin ung dinownload na file to be saved sa diskette. hehehe. na trauma ako. dun nga pala un sa comp. sa school.tinatangkilik kasi smen ang linux. its either... slow lng tlga ako o di lang siya user friendly...hehehe...sana di ung una. peace!!!  ;D

Telesforo

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 78
  • Kamote Queue
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 07:15:58 pm »
one problem with linux is that it has so many distributions. as such, there is no longer a standard among the systems

and because there seems to be no standard, support dwindles. even software makers are having some problems when making programs run in different linux distros. most other software makers just completely ignore compatability with linux (para ala na problema)

lastly, user interface. most linux distros still use DOS-like interface (i.e. not user friendly). though there are some that have tried to copy windows' GUI (i.e. linspire--formerly called lindows, and bayanihan)

usually, users of linux are companies. since the need for the computer is purely for business, the learning curve isnt that difficult as compared to using it for your personal use.

the good news though is that efforts have been underway for the last few years to come up with a third party app that would allow windows programs to run on linux systems (codenamed project david). that would certainly lessen problems with linux. this would most likely encourage more people to switch to linux.

however, no final release has been scheduled so far. there was a beta demo before wherein they made a powerpoint presentation run (using project david) in a linux system

Well I agree with you bosing. specially on the distros, apps installation but if you're already familiar with console/terminal commands, one can create and suite apps to ones distro by means of compiling the source in your own distro as long as you have the required libs and dev files.

What I like most with Linux is that wherever I am, I still can manage my box, even using dial-up can have a total control of my box. This is for business purposes only.

Nowadays, Windows apps and games can run on top of Linux by using Wine (free) and Codeweavers(commercial version).

Thanks for the inputs. Please comment more.

bodieph

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 08:06:13 pm »
yun nga ang problem ng linux, you have to be very knowledgeable about computers to use them well

in short, hindi sya user friendly. and that means it loses millions of potential users who are after ease of use

ZR

• Your Servant
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Learn and Enjoy....
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 08:43:32 pm »
nong nabalitaan namin na mag raid about pirated windows nag change agad ang school namin into linux, yep you must have knowledge talga.. this could mean you have to start again... di gaya ng windows na open ka nalan ng open... sa linux is you have to mount pa.....

the coolest thing about linux is young defenz nya sa internet... linux has been known as the OS that has the tallest ang thickest firewall ever...
yun nga lang ehhh dapat compatible laht ng programs mo..sayang nga yung iba na programs namin na di na magagamit nang dahil sa raid na yan....
lahat ng student are having problem navigating it... haaayyy 1 weeek tutorial pa...

gamit sa school namin ay ubun2... 

SpyTamers

• The Hitch-Hiker-Hunter 2006
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 43
  • Tamers Simply Amazing !
    • Tamers Homepage !
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 09:39:16 pm »
Maganda yong linux pero gaya ng sabi ni boss Bodieph hindi yan user friendly.... I was using linux before but switch to Windows na lang. Depende din kasi yan sa level ng users, kung beginners ka at no knowlegde about PC mas maganda yong windows. It takes only hours to learn.

Mga bro may nabasa akong article kahapon, may e release daw silang Windows Xp na exclusively for linux OS.... Sinong may alam non?

Telesforo

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 78
  • Kamote Queue
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 12:07:06 am »
Maganda yong linux pero gaya ng sabi ni boss Bodieph hindi yan user friendly.... I was using linux before but switch to Windows na lang. Depende din kasi yan sa level ng users, kung beginners ka at no knowlegde about PC mas maganda yong windows. It takes only hours to learn.

Mga bro may nabasa akong article kahapon, may e release daw silang Windows Xp na exclusively for linux OS.... Sinong may alam non?

Bossing are you refering to XPde??

No info if Microsoft will do this.

SpyTamers

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 43
    • Tamers Homepage !
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 04:16:52 am »
Tumpak yan nga bro.... hehehehehe okay ahhhh alam mo ito...

Pag may official release na niyan... at may available dito na pagbilhan switch agad ako dito to linux.... hehehehehhe ;D

Telesforo

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 78
  • Kamote Queue
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 05:09:02 am »

Pag may official release na niyan... at may available dito na pagbilhan switch agad ako dito to linux.... hehehehehhe ;D

Na try ko na itong release na to --> xpde-0.5.1.tar.gz [ 4,726,057 bytes] and works fine for my distro. I'm using RHEL4 and FC4.

I suggest sa Fedora C4 mo i try.

SpyTamers

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 43
    • Tamers Homepage !
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 05:40:40 am »
Thanks nito bro ahhhh excited na ako magamit yan.... hehehehehe Try ko to !

Magdamagang download ito pero okay lang woth it naman eh... heheheheh Matsalams bro ! ;D

anton

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 05:45:08 am »

Na try ko na itong release na to --> xpde-0.5.1.tar.gz [ 4,726,057 bytes] and works fine for my distro. I'm using RHEL4 and FC4.

I suggest sa Fedora C4 mo i try.

ano ba meron sa xpde?
give an overview nman mga bosing... :D

Telesforo

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 78
  • Kamote Queue
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 05:53:27 am »
ano ba meron sa xpde?
give an overview nman mga bosing... :D

What is XPde?  [http://www.xpde.com/]

It's a complete desktop environment for Linux on x86. It tries to make easier for Windows XP users to use a Linux box. Nothing more, no clipboard compatibility between Gtk and Qt applications, no emulation of Windows applications, no unification on the widgets of X applications, just a desktop environment.
----------------------------------------------

Please check also the website of XPde.

the_lonely_sperm

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 3
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 02:46:35 am »
Bosingz, makisingit lang... Gamit ko Ubuntu 5.10 sa desktop. Meron din akong "virtual" na Suse partition sa WindowsXP Pro ko (am using Parallels 2.1 beta) at meron din akong naka setup na Smoothwall linux firewall na naka "firewall-chain" sa aming M$-ISA firewall (internal firewall). Naka network yung Suse 10 ko sa ibang windows computers (bridged network sa WinXP card ko). Am using Openoffice 2.02 and Gimp 2 for my work at nagpi-print ako sa Windows printer na naka-share sa ibang dept.  Ako lang dito sa office gumagamit ng Linux (guinea pig! :D) pero so far, wala akong problema sa "interoperability" ng Windoze at Linux.  Yun nga lang "manual" or "text-based" yung configuration.  Cguro, 1 week ko kinunfigure bago ako naka-print sa Windows printer (from Linux).  Mahirap!  Buti na lang sanay na ako sa command line (DOS).  Medyo mahirap pag hindi ka marunong gumamit ng command line. Problema din yung games. 'Ala masyadong magandang games sa Linux kaya Windows pa rin ako paminsan-minsan. 

Kung gusto nyo mag-try ng Linux, I suggest Ubuntu. Pwede kang mag-request ng CDs  (TOTALLY FREE!). Hintayin nyo lang mga 3 weeks to about a month para ma-deliver. Pwedeng mag-order kahit 100 CDs!  (20 CDs is enough. Hino-hold kasi ng Post Office pag greater than 100 CDs for TAX purposes). Click here for details: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
"Make love not war"

Telesforo

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 78
  • Kamote Queue
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 05:42:20 pm »
Thanks the_lonely_sperm.

Hindi lang pala ako nag iisa. Buti na lang andyan kayo. Sabi nga ng friend ko maganda raw ang Ubuntu pero hindi pa ako nag attemp i-try. Im more on RedHat kasi.

Kung problem mo ang games DL ka ng Crossover dami namang crackz na dyan. Supported pa nya DirectX.

Peace out!

dkv

• Certified Newbie
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma -3
  • Unix User
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 03:03:54 am »
FreeBSD User po ako... kaso more in server admin lang not on the desktop level.
UN*X is sexy!
who | grep -i blonde | talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Ratchet

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 10:48:08 pm »
uhmmm... bago palang po ako sa linux... actually ndi ko gamit ang linux sa desktop pc... gumagamit lang ako ng SSH para makapag edit, change ng ownership sa mga files sa remote server ng website ng opisina...

FreeBSD User? maganda din daw yan... mas secure kesa sa linux... pero mas maganda dw yung NetBSD eh... :)

dun sa hindi sanay sa CLI (Command Line Interface) may KDE naman at Gnome :)

try Kubuntu mas maganda

dkv

• Certified Newbie
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma -3
  • Unix User
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 12:06:06 am »
if medyo paranoid, try mo openBSD... most secured, balita ay mey funds eto from DOD of USA.

UN*X is sexy!
who | grep -i blonde | talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;