Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Philippines Has Fewer Rice Offers  (Read 1416 times)

Zany J.

• Just Look In The EYE!!
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
  • we don't have a choice! kill! kill! kill!
Philippines Has Fewer Rice Offers
« on: December 08, 2009, 07:33:34 am »
Dec. 8 (Bloomberg) -- The Philippines, the world’s biggest rice importer, attracted fewer offers today, and sellers sought at least 30 percent more than the average price agreed in last month’s tender, signaling scarcer global supplies.

The number of qualified traders offering to sell rice dropped to five, from 10 in November, according to the state-run National Food Authority. Traders offered 1.125 million tons at prices ranging from $618.95 to $768.50 a ton, compared with an average price of $475.40 the authority agreed to pay last month.

“There is no rice in the market, that’s why Vinafood 2 is the only Vietnamese supplier” at today’s tender, Rakesh Singh, a trader at Emmsons International Ltd., said by phone from New Delhi, referring to Vietnam Southern. “The market is speculating that Thailand will not be selling its stockpiles until prices rise to $700” a ton, he said.

The Southeast Asian nation advanced imports after storms damaged at least 1.3 million tons of crops and on concern India, the second-largest grower and consumer, may return to the world market, increasing competition for supplies. Last week, the Philippines raised its budget for a Dec. 15 tender by 21 percent, signaling the government will stay in the market as prices climb.

Rice prices jumped to a record last year as the Philippines boosted imports to 2.4 million tons, the highest level ever, and exporters including India and Vietnam restricted shipments, fueling concern global food supplies were shrinking. Futures in Chicago have jumped 38 percent from this year’s low of $11.195 per 100 pounds and traded at $15.55 at 4:42 p.m. Singapore time.

Holding Supplies

Farmers are holding on to their supplies expecting prices will rise, leaving less rice for traders to offer at Philippine tenders, Singh said.

Farmers and exporters may demand higher prices by the time traders seek supplies to meet their obligations to the Philippines, “crimping their capacity to deliver,” National Food Authority Marketing Director Romeo Jimenez said in an interview in Manila today.

Thai 100 percent grade-B white rice, the regional benchmark, was set last week at $622 a ton, up 18 percent from this year’s low of $525 in October. The price of 25-percent broken rice, the grade sought by the Philippines, was $490 a ton, up from a low of $414 a ton in October.

Traders may have stayed away from today’s tender “as a matter of strategy,” and may offer the grain at the next 600,000-ton tender scheduled for Dec. 15, National Food Deputy Administrator Vic Jarina told reporters in Manila today. Tender results are usually announced within five working days.

National Food raised its budget for the planned Dec. 15 tender for the same volume to 18.525 billion pesos, from 15.26 billion pesos, because “prices are moving,” National Food Spokesman Rex Estoperez said Dec. 3.

India may consider importing rice “to ensure availability at affordable” prices if volumes bought from farmers fall short of requirements, Junior Trade Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia said in a written reply to the parliament in New Delhi yesterday.

by Cecilia Yap and Luzi Ann Javier
 smoking:: smoking:: smoking::

ThePunisher

• ThePunisher
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
Re: Philippines Has Fewer Rice Offers
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:39:05 am »
ironic for an Agricultural Country.

laces522

• KEEP IT NAUGHTY NOT TRASHY BUT NASTY!
  • Certified SpyGirl
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 27
  • Be wary cause i am a feline..sly,foxy and cunning!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:41:02 am »
advantageous sa mga nagpapapayat like me... ;)

SpyDrew

• i run, i row, i climb...
  • Certified SpyGirl
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 71
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:45:41 am »
my reason na para magdiet ako  laffman::
There isnt a day that goes by where I dont at some point think of you.. 😙💋💚 #missingyou

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:59:02 am »
Noodles naman ang kinakain (kung may kinakain man) ang mga pinakamahihirap sa Pilipinas. Yung mga maykaya kaya naman mag-import ng Jasmine.

guilty

• Phonomania [Level-3]
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
  • ....i shall cut behind ur ear.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:44:42 am »
ironic for an Agricultural Country.

i think we dont belong to the category na agricultural country, marami ang fafarm oo..
pero to think we dont have that large land resource to yield such rice demand eh malaking kalokohan.
sana mag improve na tau at maghanap ng bagong mga mapagkikitaan para tau umasenso
blema cgru sa tin sa tingin ko eh anu kinagisnan eh un din ang ginagwa.
let united states china etc do the farming kasi me land cla to meet such idea..
sayang lng tau mali lang talaga ung pag imbue ng mga ideals..
papasukin nyu ko sa VIP room... pa taste ng espiya

Gat J.P. Rizal

• Gold Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 76
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 08:51:50 am »
Government diversionary spin doctors is kicking again!

Spreading news that cause the public to panic just to cover the real issue at the moment.

"Maguindanao Massacre"